GuiCommand model Wiki page

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hmk

GuiCommand model Wiki page

Post by hmk »

Perhaps this thread can serve for discussion and change requests to the GuiCommand model page?
hmk

Notes

Post by hmk »

The GuiCommand model page does not show how to format Notes. Especially, should they go into a separate section or a the end of the Usage section? (If someone could add this directly to the page, that would be perfect, I think.)
david69
Veteran

Re: GuiCommand model Wiki page

Post by david69 »

here, you have some details how to write pages for the wiki

WikiPages
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Help:Editing

humm, looking for details about how to format Notes, i don't find. may be a miss.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

I have changes the GuiCommand_model page a little bit:
  1. Reordered the paragraphs. Changed 'Limitations' to 'Notes'.
  2. Reworded the 'Usage' paragraph.
  3. Removed {{Emphasis}} from 'See also'.
  4. Added {{TitleProperty}} in the 'Properties' paragraph.
Feel free to comment if there are things you would like to see improved or changed (or changed back ;) ).
hmk

Post by hmk »

The following is not yet covered, I think. I propose to add after "Insert here a short description of what the command does." something like:

Code: Select all

The description can refer to workbenches such as the [[Image:Workbench_Sketcher.svg|24px]] [[Sketcher_Workbench|Sketcher Workbench]]. (''Editor note:'' The image is 24px, not 16px)
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

hmk, do you plan to cover the Docnav and the Guicommand?

in Guicommand, the SeeAlso section only receives links to other tools. Tutorials, special pages are, from what i have seen, put in a chapter "related".

a detail but it helps translators, [[workbench_tool|workbench tool]] or [[the_link_to_the_page|the link to the page]]. when we use automatic translators on line, the the_link_to_the_page is not translated while "the link to the page" can be.
hmk

Post by hmk »

david69 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:32 pm hmk, do you plan to cover the Docnav and the Guicommand?
I am not familiar with the Docnav, I don't plan to touch it.

in Guicommand, the SeeAlso section only receives links to other tools. Tutorials, special pages are, from what i have seen, put in a chapter "related".
The "See also" of GuiCommand is empty: So there is no consensus what goes in here, right? I am happy to follow any rule. The important thing for me is to have a rule. :)

a detail but it helps translators, [[workbench_tool|workbench tool]] or [[the_link_to_the_page|the link to the page]]. when we use automatic translators on line, the the_link_to_the_page is not translated while "the link to the page" can be.
Thanks, that is good to know! I have already started to format like this, but now I understand why.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

david69 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:32 pm in Guicommand, the SeeAlso section only receives links to other tools
There is this comment on the page:
<!--add links to similar commands; delete this row if not used-->
But I do not know how strict this is.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try to implement them.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

I've thought i've read this information but i am not capable to proove it with a page. may be an issue with my memory.
when i've reworked the docnav and guicommand, very seldomely i've seen links to other thing than page of tools.

about the docnav, it is already well defined here https://wiki.freecadweb.org/WikiPages#Setting_Docnav

by the way, i am not a fan of folded chapter because if we click on the chapter from the index table of the page, we don't jump to the corresponding chapter. i know it avoids to have huge pages.
hmk

Post by hmk »

david69 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:00 pm by the way, i am not a fan of folded chapter because if we click on the chapter from the index table of the page, we don't jump to the corresponding chapter. i know it avoids to have huge pages.
+1.
What I like even less, if I search such a page, the search misses collapsed text! :x This is a particularly annoying example: Expressions