GuiCommand model Wiki page

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: GuiCommand model Wiki page

Post by uwestoehr »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:19 pm Most SeeAlso links follow the general wiki standard for links, apparently this makes sense for the majority of editors. IMO we need very, very good reasons to deviate from that.
When the link points to the same WB, the prefix does not provide additional info. And when clicking on such a link you see that you end up in the same WB.
For interlinks to other WBs the prefix is of course sensible and should stay, as this is valuable info.

Since the Wiki users hub section's target audience are users, not editors and developers, I want to keep the Wiki pages in the users hub simple providing all necessary info and not all internals.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

There are cases where different tools in different workbenches have the same name (e.g. Clone). For these it is advised to add the workbench. Because some editor may not know about an identical name somewhere else and to treat them all the same it seems advised to always add the workbench.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:09 pmI want
I have given three convincing arguments against this. The first argument is the most important. Not following what most editors do here is a bad idea. So again I ask you to please follow that standard.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

I've a got a doubt about what is a menu!
in the GuiCommand, it is written:
Menu location
Menu → Submenu → Menu text for the command

the Menu here is well the top menu and not Menu of the GUI?

I have modified that part on PartDesign_NewSketch to follow the first idea but the doubt appears with next page PartDesign_Point
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

david69 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:13 pm the Menu here is well the top menu
Yes.

If you compare the PD menu structure of V0.18 and V0.20 you will see that it has changed. A new menu 'Sketch' has been added and the 'Part Design' menu has more submenus. So you have correctly updated the 'MenuLocation' of PartDesign_NewSketch.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

so couple of location menu have to be up-dated in order to be in line with the 0.19.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

david69 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:12 pm so couple of location menu have to be up-dated in order to be in line with the 0.19.
Yes. Or rather with V0.20, but I do not think the PD menu has changed since the official release of V0.19.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Roy_043 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:07 am Not following what most editors do here is a bad idea. So again I ask you to please follow that standard.
And again, we have different opinions in this regard ;) I think what has been done in the past should be improved/changed. So the argument cannot be that "it has always been done this way". That contradicts progress.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:06 pm I think what has been done in the past should be improved/changed.
"Improve": yes, if the advantage outweighs the disadvantage - at least in the long run. "Change" has no benefit in itself, so without improvement: no.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
hmk

Post by hmk »

david69 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:13 pm Menu → Submenu → Menu text for the command
I am wondering, how should the menu described that is accessible via right-clicking in the 3D view? Perhaps
RMB -> Menu → Submenu → Menu text for the command
Can this information be added to the GuiCommand page?