Concerns From a User's Perspective [Resolved & "In-Progrss]

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MSOlsen65

Re: Concerns From a User's Perspective

Post by MSOlsen65 »

Roy_043 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:27 pm The pages were very uniform and consistent before, and also consistent with similar pages belonging to other workbenches.
That is true; however, with the "intended" changes, that internal uniformity was broken. Hence the additional stylistic changes to restore internal uniformity.

I may have missed something, but it seems to me that this is not well thought out:
You have started from what you call a gap between the GUI and the wiki.
The pages you have changed matched the menu structure in the GUI. So effectively there was no gap.
Admittedly, in most, but not all, cases the variations were slight to negligible. Yet this was not true for all cases. Thus an "intended" change was made.

Now that I have pointed that out you are talking about stylistic issues, which did not exist either.
As already stated, these were made only to keep the page internally consistent/uniform.

And the information you have added was already available (the user can hover or click the link).
This was in fact a point of ignorance on my part. Had I been aware of this, it would have received full and due consideration. I have no doubt that many changes would not have been made. Hence why I have asked for your input and guidance. I do not wish to cause such strife.

Note 1:
For experiments like this you really should use sandbox pages.
I had forgotten that such was available, and I was never clear about how to establish a sandbox page. Could you kindly instruct me in this matter so that I do not repeat this mishap in the future?

Note 3:
To find the meaning of IOW you can just use a search engine.
Now that was a bit rude. I was asking to better understand you. There was no insult or derogatory intent. While it may be common and clear to you, it obviously was not to me. Abbreviations tend to be voluminous in entries, and contextually specific in meaning; therefore, asking someone for clarification of their specific intended meaning is a most reasonable action. Especially given that the entire point of this discussion is ultimately about clarification of meaning.
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
Electrical Engineer & Joiner
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

chrisb wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:59 pm
Roy_043 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:27 pm Note 3:
To find the meaning of IOW you can just use a search engine.
... The first hit for IOW is "Isle Of Wight", the 2nd is "In Other Words", third is "Input Output Write". I guess you didn't mean Isle of Wight. Please note that there are many non native English speaking members visiting the English forum, ...
Thanks for making my point @chrisb. ;)
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

Quick update:

My computer's "system" drive has crashed. :evil: I will be down for a week as I must wait until payday to purchase a new drive. :? It was only ten years old. :cry:

The good news is that I have my current system backed up as a snapshot on a remote server. :ugeek: So once I get the new drive installed, I should operational in less than an hour. :mrgreen:

This was sent from my old tablet.
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

MSOlsen65 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:46 am So once I get the new drive installed, I should operational in less than an hour. :mrgreen:
Good luck!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

Great news :!: :!:

A good friend heard about my computer troubles and is buying me a new 250Gb SSD! :D :D :D

With any luck, I will be up and running again by tomorrow. :mrgreen:

Now to Mow the yard while I wait for my new part ... :ugeek:
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Seems to be a really good friend.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

back from few days off and just discovered the page Std_View_Menu.
well, how to say... it's a bit messy and I am not sure what the changes bring really.

as a translator, let's take the first navi
{{Docnav
|Edit ([[Std_Edit_Menu]])
|Tools ([[Std_Tools_Menu]])
|Standard Base ([[Std_Base]])
|IconL=
|IconR=
|IconC=Freecad.svg
}}

if i translate, it gives something like
{{Docnav/fr
|Menu édition ([[Std_Edit_Menu/fr]])
|Menu Affichage ([[Std_Tools_Menu]])
|Base ([[Std_Base]])
|IconL=
|IconR=
|IconC=Freecad.svg
}}

some of the translations take up to 20 characters. the navi will not be readable.
and if you apply this way, some pages where you can 3,4 or even 5 reference links one after one, that's going to be just unclear and unreadable.

pls change back to the original writing.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

Just to add my two (Euro-) cents on this topic...

I second Roy_43 and david69's concerns about readability and clarity.
Personally I'm happy with the current standard even though I'm still struggling to apply it correctly on my new pages or on improvements on other page.

Especially the docnav template is well made and documented. I can't see any need to "improve" that.

In my thoughts the wiki is aimed at the user who needs information how to solve his/her problems. I can't imagine that it helps to know how the object names in python code (or wiki script) are spelt correctly when a command doesn't behave as expected.
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

First: As noted on 2 August, the drive holding my OS on my computer died. I was fortunate enough to have a friend that was willing to help once he understood I needed to be back online quickly. As of today, my OS is fully restored with a new 500Gb SSD. :D :!: :D

Secondly: While my computer was down, I made a couple small posts from my tablet simply to keep everyone informed. Even that was exceptionally awkward. Tablets do not write well to forums. :evil: They really do not work to write wiki edits.

Finally: I agree with the many comments that the changes look busy / messy. I also apologize for problems they have, or may have, caused for our translators. As of now, I have reversed / undone my edits. The pages are "back to normal." I thank you all for your patients and offer my most heart felt apologies for any irritation my actions may have caused. :(
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

thank you Mickael for your understanding.