wiki housekeeping

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
heda
Veteran

Re: wiki housekeeping

Post by heda »

in orphan pages [wiki]API_documentation/fr[/wiki] is listed - propose to delete, or bring a more meaningful api_doc page back, right now api_doc is redirected to "Category:API".

btw: is there any way to make language wiki-links work in the forum (apart from the obvious making a full link)?
Last edited by heda on Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

random observation

take page Aeroplane, that page looks just fine.
then go to any translation, at the bottom there is now a red-link "Template:Tutorials navi/de".

is that by purpose, an unintended consequence or just work in progress?
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

in the table at the bottom on page Tutorials the last column is "unfinished",
does not feel relevant to have that column there, think it is perfectly fine to let the apprentices discover that on their own when visiting the page.

if no objections, I will remove that column from the table.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

Advanced_TechDraw_Tutorial is listed in orphan pages.
it does not look like it is really finished, regardless of that...
domad wrote: ping
@domad is mentioned as author,
do you have plans to take it into completion or add it to the tutorials page?
Do you want someone else to make it more complete?
(for the record, I'm not volunteering, but hoping that either you bring it to completion, or you get help from someone else to get it done...)
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

heda wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:19 am API_documentation/fr
I have redirected the page to Category:API/fr and did the same for three other Category:API pages that were not yet redirected.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

heda wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:18 am there is now a red-link "Template:Tutorials navi/de"
These 'navi' templates are a challenge to maintain as they are not part of the translation system. I suspect this translation has been overlooked.
Last edited by Roy_043 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

heda wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:21 amI will remove that column from the table.
Please do.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

heda wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:18 am there is now a red-link "Template:Tutorials navi/de"
This template is now available for all 24 supported language. Most are just redirects.
tayozhniy

Post by tayozhniy »

Friends!
I wanted to embrace the immensity - I looked at the index https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Online_Help_Toc. I tried to match it with the side menu - and it didn't work out. For example
1) from the side menu, the "Overview" link leads to the "About FreeCAD" page;
2) the link from the side menu "Screenshots" leads to a page that is not presented in the index;
3) workbenches in the side menu and in the index are listed in different order
and much more. How did this happen? Did you have some tactics from the very beginning, and did you stick to it? Let's put both the index and the side menu in order together.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

nice with the templates, starting to feel a bit bad for a simple question generating quite a bit of grinding activities at your side.
was about to propose that the "preferred linking" should include spaces around pipe, then noticed that you already removed it, suppose it is what it is. just out of curiosity - it seems to work just fine with the links at least with spaces around pipe, and imho it increases readability when editing - is something breaking with the spaces?

afaiu the side menu requires a super user, so it is just to lay low until one of those comes around to touch it
another one on the side menu is the "forum" link, which takes one to the forum, but the page is rather empty except the sentence "The forum you selected does not exist."

regardless of "overview" or "about" it feels much more like an "introduction to fc", the "getting started" feels in my non native English more like it deserves the name "overview" than the "about" page. think it has been mentioned that it is just legacy that the names are what they are.