Dangerous curves

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Dangerous curves

Post by chrisb »

esr wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:49 am Another dangerous curve: pockets that pocket empty space, because you have to reverse them, because FreeCAD isn't smart enough to default to pocketing into the surface the sketch is placed on rather than going "positive" with respect to global coordinates.
FreeCAD is indeed smart enough to handle pockets correctly, whos Sketches are attached to faces. However, due to other reasons this is not recommended.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
esr

Post by esr »

chrisb wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:13 am
esr wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:49 am Another dangerous curve: pockets that pocket empty space, because you have to reverse them, because FreeCAD isn't smart enough to default to pocketing into the surface the sketch is placed on rather than going "positive" with respect to global coordinates.
FreeCAD is indeed smart enough to handle pockets correctly, whos Sketches are attached to faces. However, due to other reasons this is not recommended.
Maybe it is now - I'm running the repository head version and will test. I definitelty saw it being stupid this way in 0.18.4, I had to ask about it and was told about the "Reverse" checkbox, which indeed fixed the problem.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

esr wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:14 pm I definitelty saw it being stupid this way in 0.18.4
Please avoid terms such as 'stupid'. They unnecessarily charge the discussion. Everybody makes mistakes, but the word 'stupid' seldom applies.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

esr wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:14 pm I definitelty saw it being stupid this way in 0.18.4, I had to ask about it and was told about the "Reverse" checkbox, which indeed fixed the problem.
I would like to see that example. Pockets of sketches attached to faces worked in 0.18 definitely the same sensible way as they do now: they go into the face (or rather into the material behind the face). Did you receive that recommendation here in the forum?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Someone has meanwhile marked the Spreadsheet Workbench page for translation and translated the added paragraph into French. That is a bit unfortunate as it is still a work in progress. I have now added the {{Page in progress}} template to discourage other translators from doing the same.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

esr wrote:ping
In your edit (https://wiki.freecadweb.org/index.php?t ... id=1033801) you say "You will get a warning and a request to confirm if a row or column deletion would abolish a reference that's used in your model." I am unable to reproduce that. In my test no warning is given. Can you provide a scenario where this warning does appear?