Dangerous curves

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
esr

Re: Dangerous curves

Post by esr »

heda wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:33 am as said, it is generally a good idea, but imho it has taken a dangerous turn if the yellow warning is used for this purpose...
I do not argue that this icon is widely recognized as warning sign, also in documentation, it simply is, but it really ought to be reserved for "danger", and it is not the only symbol used in documentation, so is for example the information symbol...
That's a good point.
please use an info icon or a "remember" icon (which most people already are programmed to ignore unless they want to learn more... - i.e. a perfect fit for new users), and as said, why not use a fc designed icon (making it easy with licenses...)
the finger ribbon or some soft colors on an alambell could be appropriate for the purpose imho.
I still don't think "info" has the right semantics, but the "remember" icon would serve.

I don't think the "remember" has recognition as wide as the Knuth roadsign, though, which takes me back to that idea.
also - have a feeling that you are under the impression that i am coding for fc - and somehow have the ability to change the gui in a whim - i don't (apart from some simplistic scripting aimed for modelling purposes)...
Yes, I did have that impression. Thanks for correcting me.
esr

Post by esr »

Here is another candidate for "dangerous curve" - the fact that pasting cells in a spreadsheet doesn't their carry properties with them.
esr

Post by esr »

First contribution now on the documentation wiki - a new sectipn on the page for the Spreadsheet workbench, describing editing operations I had to discover by trial and error.

Actually putting together the template for a dangerous-curve admonition is on my to-do list, but won't happen yet as it's a bit trickier than wordsmithing.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Which version are you using? Some of the information you have added seems incorrect (checked with V0.19 and V0.20). But going into that may be a bit off topic...

Regarding the topic:

Would the whole paragraph be marked as "Dangerous curves" or only one or two sentences?

In the section you have added you talk about adding rows and columns. In the "Tools" paragraph directly above the very same is described. There is an overlap that IMO should be avoided. Or is this deliberate?

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: Dutch/Netherlands (nl_NL)
esr

Post by esr »

Roy_043 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:46 pm Would the whole paragraph be marked as "Dangerous curves" or only one or two sentences?
The part where proprties aren't copied buy a paste operation and formulas references aren't fixed up after a cut.
In the section you have added you talk about adding rows and columns. In the "Tools" paragraph directly above the very same is described. There is an overlap that IMO should be avoided. Or is this deliberate?
No. I'll go fix it one way or the other.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

esr wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:06 pm proprties aren't copied buy a paste operation
That is one the issues I cannot reproduce. Can you please verify your findings in V0.20?
esr

Post by esr »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:57 am
esr wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:06 pm proprties aren't copied buy a paste operation
That is one the issues I cannot reproduce. Can you please verify your findings in V0.20?
I'm actually trying to get some design work done, I'm not just messing around generating documentation. I'm reluctant to touch 0.20 because I tried a current AppImage a few days ago and it was unusable - something had been done that removed the toolbar, and this persisted after I reset my preferences. But if you can recommend a way to get an 0.20 build that is stable and working, I'll try it.

From Spreadsheet -> Current Limitations: "When cells are copied, only the content (expression/value) is copied. The Cell Properties described above are not copied." So I'm definitely not hallucinating about this. If it has been fixed, why isn't there any text on the wiki that notes it's fixed in 0.20 or wherever?
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

esr wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:16 am If it has been fixed, why isn't there any text on the wiki that notes it's fixed in 0.20 or wherever?
You are working on this documentation, assuming that it is complete and up-to-date seems strange then. Also you talked about things you had to find out by 'trial and error' suggesting that what you have added was based on your own experience. But I'll fix that passage.
esr

Post by esr »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:14 am
esr wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:16 am If it has been fixed, why isn't there any text on the wiki that notes it's fixed in 0.20 or wherever?
You are working on this documentation, assuming that it is complete and up-to-date seems strange then. Also you talked about things you had to find out by 'trial and error' suggesting that what you have added was based on your own experience. But I'll fix that passage.
If your developers aren't in the habit of updating the wiki when they make changes that visible, this is a problem that is going to frustrate users and hinder the uptake of FreeCAD. My question was intended as a gentle nudge.
esr

Post by esr »

Another dangerous curve: pockets that pocket empty space, because you have to reverse them, because FreeCAD isn't smart enough to default to pocketing into the surface the sketch is placed on rather than going "positive" with respect to global coordinates.