Fasteners Workbench - critical review

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
maker

Fasteners Workbench - critical review

Post by maker »

Hi all,

while reviewing the above wiki page, I noticed that some entries can't be right there and I want to scrutinize them:
  1. [https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Fasteners_W ... _Fasteners PEM and PCB]
  2. [https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Fasteners_W ... cellaneous Fasteners miscellaneous]
  1. PEM is there mentioned which stands for the PEM® trademark brand fasteners of PennEngineering Company. I am new that we advertise for companies. Because there are several companies which offer these products. As a proposal that should be replaced by the more general technical term self-clinching.
  2. In the section Fasteners miscellaneous, there are images used and nominations, that have not directly to do with the term fastener.
    • there are 2 x 2 figures that show a tap and a die for thread cutting. At this wiki page = fasteners, I do not understand what this has to do with a fastener's library. These tools are used for threading which is thread manufacturing.
    • The mentioned standard DIN 975 - Threaded rods was canceled 1995, and replaced by DIN 976-1 - Stud bolts - Part 1: Metric thread
    Maybe someone can enlighten me...
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Fasteners Workbench - critical review

Post by Roy_043 »

I have worked on that page a couple of weeks ago. Actually spending more time than originally intended. And just yesterday I found out that there is a preference to have the fasteners appear in separate toolbars... This is much more convenient for the user, and I feel it would also make sense to rearrange the tools on the Fasteners_Workbench page accordingly.
See: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 80#p528028

Regarding PEM:
That is just used in the code and also in the name of the icons. In my ignorance I thought it was something similar to DIN.

Regarding Fasteners miscellaneous:
These are features to create a threaded hole using a Boolean cut operation f.e.

But, IMO, more important than any of the above would be to improve the command reference pages (Fasteners_Flip etc.) which are more or less still stubs (that do not follow the standards).
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

If we use PEM then we should probably use the trademark sign next to it.
Last edited by Evgeniy on Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maker

Post by maker »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:46 pm ...In my ignorance I thought it was something similar to DIN.

Regarding Fasteners miscellaneous:
These are features to create a threaded hole using a Boolean cut operation f.e.
So my proposal is to change e.g. the chapter headline from

1. [https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Fasteners_W ... EM_and_PCB Fasteners PEM and PCB]

to

Self-clinching Fasteners and Fasteners for PCB

and for

2. [https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Fasteners_W ... cellaneous Fasteners miscellaneous]

the use of four other illustrations that represent inner respectively outer threads.
Fasteners_miscellaneous.png
Fasteners_miscellaneous.png (23.29 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

Changes to the wiki will not have any effect. You need to contact with @shaise about renaming these components into fasteners source code. And you may still have to make, a git pull request.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

maker wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:48 pm to change e.g. the chapter headline from
That is fine. But please use sentence case. Note that, as already explained, the layout of the page will probably have to be adapted. This will probably mean different headings as well.

maker wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:48 pm four other illustrations
The image shows the current icons. What other icons do you mean?
maker

Post by maker »

What I tried to say is, could there probably be a contradiction between the four figures and the use of these features in the so called fasteners wb:
Fasteners_miscellaneous.png
Fasteners_miscellaneous.png (23.29 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
These icons show common tools for cutting inner and outer threads:

tap_.jpg
tap_.jpg (18.73 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
The tool, so called tap for cutting inner threads..
die.jpg
die.jpg (38.25 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
The tool, so called die for cutting outer threads..

Q ) It does not come clear to me, what the two tools have in common within a Fastener WB?

If you operate the Fasteners WB and insert the two "features", you will get:
ScrewDie_ScrewTap+Nut_Screw.png
ScrewDie_ScrewTap+Nut_Screw.png (13.76 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
Background: on the left a Nut and on the right a Screw.
Foreground: on the left the so nominated "ScrewDie" and on the right the so nominated "ScrewTap".

The two bodies in the foreground represent a threaded hole (inner thread) e.g. in a plate and a threaded rod (outer thread) and so correspond to nut and screw.

I mean the wb icons and wb naming do not fit to representation as above explained.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

You have misunderstood the purpose of these features. They are intended to be used as tools for boolean operations. In the case of a screw tap you would use it to create a threaded hole in f.e. a plate. So yes, it looks just like the shaft of a bolt, but the dimensions of the thread are slightly different. Basically a screw tap in the Fastener WB is a rod with an outer thread that matches the inner thread of a nut with zero tolerance.