An opinion is required. Which version of tab sorting is more convenient for read?

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!

Which version of tab sorting is more convenient for read? Изображение

Variant A - by grouping
67%
Variant B - sorted by alphabet
33%

Total votes: 3
Evgeniy

An opinion is required. Which version of tab sorting is more convenient for read?

Post by Evgeniy »

Orange arrow indicate default tabs (which are always availible in FreeCAD).
The other arrows indicate the tabs that are connected to each other. That mean if you start a certain workbench, two tabs are added at once.

Variant A (is new) by grouping

1. Default tabs (availible at start)
2. Part, PartDesign, OpenSCAD Workbences tabs
3. FEM Workbench tabs
4. Mesh Workbench tab

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/index.php?t ... id=1006441

Variant B (is old) sorted by alphabet

DAE
DWG
DXF
IGES
IFC
etc...

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/index.php?t ... did=978191
Last edited by Evgeniy on Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: An opinion is required. Which version of tab sorting is more convenient for read?

Post by Roy_043 »

Again Evgeniy and I have had a PM discussion about this. IMO the A-Z order is better. There is no need for a subdivision.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: An opinion is required. Which version of tab sorting is more convenient for read?

Post by chrisb »

I had seen this topic before, but to be honest, I don't know what tabs you are talking about. But I think it is very well worth to consider Roy's experience.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

Tabs sequence.png
Tabs sequence.png (89.3 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
For unkonwn reason, "variant A" is seems better to me.
Variant B goes alphabetically, but there is no logic in it.
Maybe I'm wrong.

Orange arrow indicate default tabs (which are always there).
The arrows indicate the tabs that are connected to each other. That is, when you start a certain workbench, two tabs are added at once.
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

No, I agree to rollback the corrections if variant B is better.
But I don't have rights. Only Roy can do this.
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

:idea:

variant A is easier to read and clearer,
suggest a poll, it will be more efficient
Twórca polskiej wersji Wiki dla FreeCAD, współwórca polskiej wersji GUI.
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

kaktus wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:52 pm :idea:

variant A is easier to read and clearer,
suggest a poll, it will be more efficient
Ok. I add poll.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

prefer alphabetic organisation always, with or without added workbenches. when i read, unconsciously, i repeat the abc.
alphabetic organisation is based on the local language and not a code behind?
Capture du 2021-08-30 23-10-24.png
Capture du 2021-08-30 23-10-24.png (16.18 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
with that example, the wording of the tab once they are translated can create a mess. i guess it is the same thing in Polish or Russian.
the less we can translate these tabs, the better it is, IMO, in order to respect an alphabet solution.

if alphabet is not the chosen solution, we don't care. about translation and its implication.

what could be interesting with the group is to give a color to the tab of the same group.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

localisation is an interesting aspect of what is alphabetic order :-)

not directly on topic, but nevertheless related.
impexppref.png
impexppref.png (5.13 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
this is how the tab looks at my computer

if one is not really interested in ifc, but rather step, this is a quite bad deal - since step is not even visible - and for some reason the contrast (and size) of the arrows for tab cycling is unfortunate, at least on os LM - that is of course on the os, but at least I find it an annoyance to have to click to get to step, I know it is there, but it could easily be overlooked as not there on this os. it would be great if something could be done to avoid that "hiding", some have multiple rows in the tabs if needed. one might even argue that the step format should be the first one, afterall fc is a 3d modeller, and it is the most current defacto format for a 3d modeller... (i think)

suppose ifc has import/export at separate tabs because it has enough combined options in export/import to not fit on one screen.
why not stick to one tab per format, and rather do like in sketcher (or several taskviews), where there is a collapsible section for import / export,
that would reduce the need to take up so much real estate in the tab for ifc.

btw - dxf has an option to show the dialogue when importing exporting, maybe that should be on all formats?

I defer from having an opinion in the matter, apart from that it is unfortunate that step ends up hidden on my box as it is now.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

heda wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:55 pm step ends up hidden on my box as it is now
You need to load a WB to enable this tab.