An opinion is required. Which version of tab sorting is more convenient for read?

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!

Which version of tab sorting is more convenient for read? Изображение

Variant A - by grouping
67%
Variant B - sorted by alphabet
33%

Total votes: 3
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: An opinion is required. Which version of tab sorting is more convenient for read?

Post by Roy_043 »

IMO Evgeniy's arrow images misrepresent how the page will be used. A user will visit the page for information about a specific format, but not to read the tabs in sequence.

And even if the first set of tabs always appears in a fixed order, the other tabs (after "OCA") can appear in a random sequence, depending on which WB was loaded first.

Frankly I do not understand why this issue receives so much attention.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: An opinion is required. Which version of tab sorting is more convenient for read?

Post by chrisb »

I haven't voted and don't intend to, so I cannot see how many votes there are. My guess is that it's perhaps 10 or so, which would not be representative.
Optimizing the GUI is of course sensible, whereever it may be, but it is of course more sensible in frequently used places. How often will this dialog be used per model? The average will most probably be less than once. So I could not care much less about the order of the tabs.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:50 am And even if the first set of tabs always appears in a fixed order, the other tabs (after "OCA") can appear in a random sequence, depending on which WB was loaded first.
Not quite so:
the default tabs will always be the first and always in the same sequence (So I highlighted them with arrows)
The IGES and STEP tabs will always be next to each other. (So I highlighted them with arrows)
The INP and VTK tabs will always be next to each other. (So I highlighted them with arrows)
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

are you going to submit code to the main repository to change the tabs order in FreeCAD?
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

nope, at least not on my appimage - pic below is from just starting and going to pref & "arrow clicking" to get to step...
impexpstp.png
impexpstp.png (8.24 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

It also depends on the startup WB. If Start is the startup WB the Step tab is not displayed unless you load f.e. Part first.

The other issue you mention is probably related to the style sheet you are using.
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:37 pm are you going to submit code to the main repository to change the tabs order in FreeCAD?
In general, we are talking about the order of sections on the wiki page.
Which order is more correct for the representation.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

I have reverted the order.
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

I wonder where the voting results go? Why were there three votes yesterday and zero today?
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Log out and try again...