WikiPages needs to be checked...

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

WikiPages needs to be checked...

Post by Roy_043 »

Apparently at least one rule was changed on the WikiPages page without the consensus of the community:
chrisb wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:04 pm
Roy_043 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:27 pm Actually page names should use sentence case. Sadly very few Wiki editors seem to bother reading WikiPages.
There was a discussion about this, and IIRC it was just vocx who wanted to change it. So he wrote it there and you got trapped. It might have been ok, if he had changed all the page names, but the mixed stuff is a mess.
The current, incorrect, rule:
Page names should be short, and they should use sentence case: all words except the first one and proper names, should be in lowercase.
The old, correct, rule that still applies:
Page names should be short, and every word should begin with a capital letter, unless they are articles, prepositions, conjunctions, or other grammatical particles, that is, "of, on, in, a, an, and", etc.
The discussion:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31939
The edit:
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/index.php?t ... did=343216

Of course I am now left wondering what other rules have been changed without consensus. I would appreciate if other Wiki editors could check the WikiPages page. It is an important document that should be up to date.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: WikiPages needs to be checked...

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for opening this discussion. Do you have an overview how many pages of each style we have? Renaming is always a problem due to links from the forum to the wiki.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Using https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Special:AllPages with the "Hide redirects" option, I have created a list and then filtered out all the translations. This leaves 1849 page names. See attached file.

Finding the names that use sentence case is a bit hard. I have used this regular expression: .* [a-z].*. It is not perfect (it will also catch FEM Shear of a Composite Block). 292 pages match the regular expression. Which is ca 15%.
Attachments
wiki-names-no-redirects-no-translations.txt
(38.45 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the list, I will have a look. I thought it was even less, because I know only 3 such pages by heart.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

... The rule that page names should use title case was never strictly adhered to I think. There are quite a few older pages (< November 1, 2018) that use sentence case. But some of them may predate the title case rule in WikiPages.

Having Wiki pages with names that do not follow the naming scheme is not good of course, it can only confuse editors. But fixing the names of 292 pages would be a lot of work. Especially if you also want to update the internal Wiki links: some pages have a lot of links (Tree_view f.e. has 1700+). Having participated in two manual Wiki housekeeping jobs this year (mind numbing, arm numbing), I think that if we decide to do this we really should look at some form of automation.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

... But going back to the content of the WikiPages page:
The title case rule applies to page names only? Or also to paragraph headings?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Roy_043 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:47 am The title case rule applies to page names only? Or also to paragraph headings?
Pages only, no paragraphs.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

I have updated the page:

The main changes:

Page names: Title case.
Headings: Sentence case. Not sure about this.
Preferred link format: [[Name_of_Page|Name of Page]]. Also not sure.

Please let me know if this is not OK.

Regarding sentence case for headings: If you look at an older version of the page there is a mix of sentence case and title case:
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/index.php?t ... did=325347
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks!