New Sketcher shortcuts

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hmk

New Sketcher shortcuts

Post by hmk »

Finally the Sketcher shortcuts have been overhauled, it seems: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... 6102ffe105

Any strategy how to handle this in the Wiki? Could we chip on this incrementally or does someone plan to do a mass change? (Ether way, it will cause grief/irritation for 0.19 users... I personally could imagine to give both new/old shortcuts with {{Version}} labels.)
JoeKundlak

Re: New Sketcher shortcuts

Post by JoeKundlak »

Perhaps temporarily it could be done in a table on the Wiki page? That way you can later delete the older versions (or if App Versioning is somehow implemented in the Wiki one day, that table can be sliced or converted to text and routed to the respective pages).
Joe
---------------------------------------------------
translating into SK: https://wiki.freecadweb.org
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

There was a discussion about differences between versions in the wiki. I think the result was something like we don't have enough people to maintain the wiki for more than the current development version and FreeCAD ships with an offline manual which always works for your version.

edit
Here it is:
Roy_043 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:29 pm As I have already said in the other discussion, I think we simply lack the manpower to even consider this.

Also we should not forget that each FreeCAD version comes with its own offline help files which are based on the wiki. So you can already f.e. access the 0.17 version of the wiki, if you wish to do so.
chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:38 pm Considering the amount of work and the number of workers, we can at most maintain one version. And that has, of course, to be the current. Even theoretically simple solutions, such as copy a frozen version when a release becomes stable, have do be managed.

I see very few questions in the forum, where people ask for things in 0.18 which are differently documented, because the respect already something in 0.19.
So my vote is to only document the current version, preferably with notes from which version on certain parts are valid. That enables us to write the documentation of new stuff while is still fresh.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

As Joe remarked in another topic, the Sketcher Workbench is one of the core workbenches of FreeCAD. Its documentation however has a mixed quality (The same, BTW, applies to the other core workbenches Part and PartDesign). I would love to see somebody having a serious go at remedying that, but do realize that this is a lot of work.

Fixing the shortcuts can wait IMO. I would not create a table, it would indeed just be temporary, and the user can get the same information by just looking at the menus.
hmk

Post by hmk »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:35 pm Fixing the shortcuts can wait IMO.
OK. (I am not prepared to make the bulk changes (now).) Perhaps a good time would be when 0.20 gets released.