Workbench <-> Module

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Workbench <-> Module

Post by yorik »

yeah right :D
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

renatorivo wrote:... pages "Workbench" and "Module" are same page, but sometimes the link contains Workbench, and sometimes contains Module, sometimes Workbench is redirected to the module and vice versa, I think it would be better if it contains the same word always, no matter which of the two, then you can fix redirects. Only this, everything else comes next...
I still stick with renato, most important is to fix the redirects. Since the module pages don't even exists, they really come later ...
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Since decision was made but for no module a page exists at the wiki so far, the modules should link to WB as long as there is no module page.

example OpenSCAD WB:

OpenSCAD Workbench --> OpenSCAD Module

I did not have the bravery trying to exchange the redirect and the page. What happens with the translations. They should be copied as well. Am I as wiki user allowed to copy the translated pages?

Might be something for an Admin, or do I just miss how to do the exchange?
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

Hi,

I tried to do this, but it is a job that requires a lot of time and we do not know how it ends, there are many links to WB and Mod pages.... I think that it is better to put some order first, even in the pages of other languages, and wait for the final decisions, ... for not to do it twice

renato
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

shoogen wrote:Sometimes everything in the Module is visible in Workbench. Then it wouldn't make any sense to have both pages. But for the Part Module it makes sense to distinguish between the Workbench and aspects that are vital but not available from the Gui (python api, importers and exporters)
I'm sorry, but I really can't comprehend why we have to make the distinction.

I've been following this project for 4 years now, and to my knowledge there has never been a distinction between "Module" and "Workbench" done by either of the original developers (jriegel, wmayer and yorik).

Module and workbench are almost interchangeable terms on the forum. It also explains why there are so many redirects on the wiki, since we use one term or the other.

Creating separate wiki pages for modules and workbenches will bring nothing but confusion to users.

It's already a struggle to offer an easy to navigate and easy to understand wiki, why would we want to trip ourselves over such semantics?

To the end user point of view, the fact that importers/exporters are dealt with by one module or the other is irrelevant.

It would be more logical to create a separate Import/Export page that lists all possible file formats, or it could be a "portal page" that links to detailed pages for each file format.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

normandc wrote: To the end user point of view, the fact that importers/exporters are dealt with by one module or the other is irrelevant.
It would be more logical to create a separate Import/Export page that lists all possible file formats
+1
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I've been following this project for 4 years now, and to my knowledge there has never been a distinction between "Module" and "Workbench" done by either of the original developers (jriegel, wmayer and yorik).
From a user's point of view these two terms might be handled as synonyms more or less because the functions provided by a module are almost coincident with the functions shown in the GUI of a workbench. But IMO there is a certain difference:
For me the term workbench means the functions offered to the user in the GUI while module is more technical driven and considers more the programming aspect, i.e. the fact that it's a Python module.

So, articles that exclusively talk about the GUI interface should only use the term workbench while articles talking about scripting should use the term module.
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

wmayer wrote:So, articles that exclusively talk about the GUI interface should only use the term workbench while articles talking about scripting should use the term module.
+1
I needed to write a whole Module to fully understand the difference. :D
But consistency is more important them simplicity. It is much like the difference between topology and geometry in OCCT. If the users don't scratch the surface of the GUI they don't have to understand difference. But from the one day he needs to use python scripting and work with all those details, he will get confused it the terms are mixed up in the documentation.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Real World Example ...

To understand all the difference and how to apply this on the wiki I just read the Release notes 0.14 and tried to figure out if it should be module or workbench. Not an easy task...

Just to get it the rigth way. Using the tools of Draft Workbench one would create Draft Module Objects ?!?