How to get wiki editing permissions

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to get wiki editing permissions

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:40 am I wish you had read the first post of this topic. It is pretty clear that you should send a PM to one of the wiki admin, it's all explained.
I was about to answer the same, but then I saw that a user has to have a first approved post. Micha had never posted before, so it is his first kind-of-dummy-post.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sileONfreeCAD

Post by sileONfreeCAD »

I´d like to send PM post but i don´t understand where I need to publish post to get a wiki account. Is this Gitter or here.
Or I must to wait a bit time for Admin s to be online. Please help me?
:ugeek: life is beautiful
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

sileONfreeCAD wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:42 am I´d like to send PM post but i don´t understand where I need to publish post to get a wiki account. Is this Gitter or here.
The first post in this topic explains what to do. The green text edit explains about the first post approval requirement before a PM can be sent. This is an anti-spam measure. We delete all or most of the spam before it can be seen here, and yes, we delete a lot of spam. :)

Generally FreeCAD lives here on these forums.

All other platforms like Gitter etc. are little more than attention dilution. If they work for you, fine, but if you want your post to be reliably noticed, I suggest you stick to these forums.

Personally I for one, ignore all other platforms as I don't have enough time to properly keep up with just this forum, the last thing I need is my attention diluted to some other pointless platform. Having said that there are times where a conversation may be only needed between a limited number of people, e.g. perhaps two developers working together on something specific. In those cases IRC or something else might suit them better.

I have used IRC only twice in the last decade, when we were hosted on SourceForge and the forum went down and I needed to contact Yorik.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

sileONfreeCAD wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:42 am I´d like to send PM post but i don´t understand where I need to publish post to get a wiki account. Is this Gitter or here.
I already created your wiki account based on the email you gave me through Gitter. Unfortunately, you didn't write your email correctly, using a dash in the address when there shouldn't be one, and I didn't see it at the time.

So you have a wiki account, but it's inaccessible, because it does not seem possible to change the email address for an account by an admin. :roll:

EDIT: I hate doing sloppy stuff like this, but I didn't see any other choice. I created a new account, this time with the valid email. You should have received an email by now.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jmaustpc wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:42 am Generally FreeCAD lives here on these forums.
And that's what I repeat time and again when I see people complaining on IRC/Gitter about the lack of help. Yet we don't see them here, go figure. :roll:

I hate IRC, it's a dinosaur from the last century. I only monitor the Gitter channel, it's got a bridge with the #freecad IRC channel. It just sucks slightly less than IRC, but both are utterly unsuited to providing efficient FreeCAD help IMO.
aoeui

Post by aoeui »

Obligatory first post to be allowed to req for wiki editing.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

aoeui wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:18 am Obligatory first post to be allowed to req for wiki editing.
Hi aoeui, welcome to FreeCAD. You come at the right moment. There is help needed to get the 0.17 documentation ready.

For other First Time Posters:
It is easier to approve a first time post if you elaborate what you want to do in the wiki - even if you start with correcting typos.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ml_freecad

Post by ml_freecad »

Hi,
I'm posting here, per the "How to get wiki editing permissions" instructions...
I'm a native English speaker, and have decided on using FreeCAD for some DIY "cut plastic milk jug with scissors, and glue pieces together" projects. I hope I can contribute some minor tidying-up edits to the wiki, at least while I'm starting out.

Thanks,
ml_freecad
[2018-03-11 Sun 15:44]
dobby127

Post by dobby127 »

I would like to get wiki editing permission.
I'm starting to use FreeCAD and use the wiki as a source of information about the scripting.
thanks
------------------------------- :arrow: ------------------------------------
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello dobby127,

Wow, you've been a forum member since 2015, but this was your first post. Don't be a stranger! :D

I created your account, you should have received an automated email by now. Thanks!