How to get wiki editing permissions

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: How to get wiki editing permissions

Post by PrzemoF »

David_D wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:02 am I'm making a post here just to see if this will give me permission to send a PM, so I can request a wiki account, so I can make edits to the Wiki, so I can edit the manual.

... This seems somewhat complicated. That might just be me though.
Welcome to the forum!
What do you want to improve in the wiki? Please don't feel offended, but a brand new user asking for wiki editing permission always raises some questions (spammers are targeting the forum quite often).
David_D

Post by David_D »

PrzemoF wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:34 am Welcome to the forum!
What do you want to improve in the wiki? Please don't feel offended, but a brand new user asking for wiki editing permission always raises some questions (spammers are targeting the forum quite often).
Very understandable. I've noticed a few spelling and grammar errors on the FreeCAD Manual, and I felt I may as well correct them as I was reading them. I had forked the git repo, but it appears that's not the preferred method, so I figured I had better go through the correct channels.

You can see a few of the changes I wanted to make on my fork: https://github.com/DavidDaish/FreeCAD-manual

I also noticed that some of the manual appeared to be a version behind the times (to my untrained eye at least) so I figured I'd propose an update, assuming I could figure out how to do the tasks.
luc

Post by luc »

Hello, Everyone
I also would like to help translating some from the wiki into Romanian.
Thank you,
Luc
tanuk

Post by tanuk »

Hello, this is the requisite first post on the forum so that I can get PM rights, and eventually wiki editing rights. I'd like to edit the Getting_started page, because it has outdated information about the Linux package formats (nowadays AppImage is offered on the Download page instead of .deb and .rpm).
cadgiru

Post by cadgiru »

Following correspondence with Yorik on the Arch tutorial, I request wiki editing rights.

Regards
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

mengdun wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:08 am I could contribute to translate the wiki into Mandarin too. ;)
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30324 Can I ask for a Chinese forum and do some translation work in wiki?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

About the forum, I'll let it to Kurt who apparently will know better how to write it :)
I just created an account for you @paullee
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Having a Chinese language forum is of course a good idea, but we will need several Chinese/English bilingual people to volunteer to be moderators for the forum and to stick with it or find replacements if they want to stop.

New first posts need to be approved or disapproved in a timely manner by bilingual moderators. We normally do so in a few hours. Moderators often attempt to help out with other non-English forums that they don't understand via Google translate or similar services, with varying degrees of success.

I have no idea how well Google translate or other similar service will work with Chinese. Google translate has its limitations with other languages, but I wonder if Chinese could be more problematic since being character based, it is so different. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with any of these software translators with Chinese? Perhaps I am worrying for no reason.

The translator software is always likely to have limitations with technical terms. For example a face of a solid is the same word as a face of a person in English but Werner once told me that in German the words are totally different.
fylip22

Post by fylip22 »

Bonjour,

Je pratique FreeCAD depuis quelques mois pour notamment l'impression 3D. La documentation m'aide régulièrement pour comprendre les subtilités de l'outil.
Je participe également sur Wikipedia en langue française. Mon comptes est le suivant :
* https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilisateur:Fylip22

Aussi, je vous sollicite pour participer à la documentation de FreeCAD.
Merci de m’autoriser l'édition sur les articles.

Salutations,

Fylip22
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

This is an English forum, haven't you noticed yours is the only post in French? Please edit your post and translate it to English. Not everyone understands French. If you can't write in English, then limit yourself to this forum: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewforum.php?f=12