Update translation files in source tree.

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kuzma30

Update translation files in source tree.

Post by Kuzma30 »

For some unknown for me reason @Yorik don't make regular (one at week) update crowdin/github source code. Last update was with 0.21 release.
We have 6 Managers on crowdin server. Why translation related things (update source with updatets.py script, update translation from crowdin )do only Yorik?
RealThunder's A3 Wiki translation, join the project https://crowdin.com/project/freecad-asm3-wiki
david69
Veteran

Re: Update translation files in source tree.

Post by david69 »

same thoughts.
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

:idea:
this topic is very serious and should bear no signs of abandonment. :roll:

Crowdin counts a great number of users who charitably work for the international FreeCAD community. Since some work has been neglected (I don't know for what reason, and I'm not judging it) it might be worthwhile to provide a schedule for all translators so they know what they can count on from the project managers.

Frequent updating of strings in Crowdin and importing translations into FreeCAD sources is what greatly supports the work of the translators.
Understandably, doing this work for one person can be aggravating, which is why translators themselves work to assist programmers.

However, some activities they are not able to perform ...

Can we get a promise that the update and exchange of FC source -> Crowdin, Crowdin -> FC source files will take place at least once a month on a specific day :?:

Translators will be calmer less frustrated by lack of information. Programmers won't have to read constantly repeated messages asking for updates ....
They will be less frustrated and regain some free time ....

It would also be helpful to define the rules on how to update and fix bugs found in GUI translations.

These are elementary matters that define good cooperation ... :idea:
Twórca polskiej wersji Wiki dla FreeCAD, współwórca polskiej wersji GUI.
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Wasn't this discussed before already? I think it was said that others can make PRs to update translations when yorik isn't available to do it himself. The man is not our slave, if he doesn't have time or energy to do it can we really blame him?
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

As far as I am concerned, I understand the situation and only expect to define the rules of cooperation. ;)

Yes others get involved and often also need the attention of the project manager - the so-called consultation.

Please note that if clear rules are set out no one will be worried because everyone will know for example when the import will take place ....
this is just an example.

If the project manager says that the exchange of data between sources and the Crowdin platform every month is too often, then let him say so clearly and specify the frequency of this operation.
I am sure that everyone will welcome such a message.

It is important that there is a flow of information ... :idea:
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Sorry about that guys. There are two reasons, 1) I have a new computer and I still haven't set up the modified version of qt we used last time, not sure if I can use the normal qt6 version from debian? and 2) @uwestoehr had asked me to hold merging translations for a while, in case we need to issue a bugfix release shortly after the 0.20 release... I'll check that with him, I think we can now resume normal merging.

(and yes, anyone can do this besides me ;) )
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

I am glad that you were able to clarify this issue. :mrgreen:

Maybe it would be good to announce some sort of timetable for importing strings into translator messages. :roll:

For some time we have been observing the appearance of a certain number of strings in Crowdin with the attribute hidden ....
Can you say a few words about this - what is the reason for this :?:

I observe that this may be some kind of optimization, but not every item is suitable for this. The reason is the universality of words from English which may not be the case in other languages.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

kaktus wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:15 am For some time we have been observing the appearance of a certain number of strings in Crowdin with the attribute hidden ....
I have no idea. Is that attribute also present in the ts files?
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

I haven't checked it so far

I will be interested in this ;)
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

I looked here and there on the example of the Freecad.ts file and the string "Appearance".

Here are my observations: :idea:

Crowdin:
https://crowdin.com/translate/freecad/549/en-pl#6501400
hidden_string.png
hidden_string.png (59.99 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
as seen in this environment string has attribute HIDDEN and DUPLICATE

then I opened the Freecad.ts file in an standard text editor (In my case, it's Kate) ;)
H_S_Screenshot_20220927_111448.png
H_S_Screenshot_20220927_111448.png (143.18 KiB) Viewed 1410 times

Code: Select all

<name>Gui::TaskView::TaskSelectLinkProperty</name>
    <message>
      <location filename="../TaskView/TaskSelectLinkProperty.ui" line="14"/>
      <source>Appearance</source>
      <translation>Wygląd zewnętrzny</translation>
    </message>
I don't see here any information about any attributes being passed to Crowdin.

Probably the Crowdin environment contains a confuguration that causes such an action automatically after data inport - update.

Unfortunately, I don't have project manager privileges in Crowdin and I'm not able to analyze it further in this direction ...

I hope you find my observations helpful :roll:

Promise me that tonight you will go out with your friends for a beer .... or two. :mrgreen: