Delete Duplicate Images?

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bejant
Veteran

Delete Duplicate Images?

Post by bejant »

Earlier today I uploaded some images and after doing so I saw that they already existed, so I'm wondering if someone can delete them? (I don't think I can delete them myself?) Usually I get a warning that the file exists so I don't know how I messed this up. My apologies for the mistake. The files are:
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... kpoint.png
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... marker.png
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Delete Duplicate Images?

Post by NormandC »

Between "View history" and the search field in the top bar, there is a small drop-down menu (indicated by a down arrow) with a Delete option. Does it work for you?
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

No, the menu grayed out with no delete option:
20140803d.png
20140803d.png (14.46 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

It's not greyed out, I though as well, but oddly that's the menu's color. I have more options in the menu but I guess that's because I'm an admin. I will delete them.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Done. I'm curious, where were these images intended?

I too have been having trouble searching images on the wiki. It won't list images I know to be there.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Norm, thanks for deleting them. My intent is to update the Artwork page because some icons have been changed (OpenSCAD Refine Shape, Draft Array come to mind), others have been added, and some have been removed from the source code since the last time I did anything on that web page. But, other people have updated it in the meantime.

I think I'd like to see the present Artwork page include only what is in the latest milestone release, and possibly the development release too (so the Artwork wiki page generally can be kept pretty much up to date). The deprecated icons, and even the proposed ones that pop up in the forum from time to time, could be included in another artwork page to ensure that the old icons and the ones that didn't pass muster aren't forever lost in the depths of the forum.

The wiki artwork page is one I often have open in another web browser tab when I'm replying to a post in the Help forum so I'd prefer not to see it become bloated (which it is now to some degree). I'd like to get the Artwork page up to date, particularly with the soon to be "How Do I ... ?" wiki pages.

So with your past wiki experience, let me know if you have any opinions / ideas. Jim seems to be one of the main people who create the icons, along with Yorik, and I have see that a few other people have been heavily involved in the wiki behind the scenes and all opinions are welcome...
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi guys
You probably know this already but in case anyone reading this does not, when you upload a new picture you have to think do I want to create a NEW picture for the wiki or do I really want to UPDATE and hence replace an EXISTING picture.

For example when a new icon is produced for a new function then it is a new picture file and should be uploaded as such. However if someone creates a new improved icon then it should be uploaded as an updated version of the existing icon picture file on the wiki. The history will then show the old one (if you look in the history) but the wiki will auto update with the new picture wherever it is shown in the wiki.

Sometimes the choice is obvious as with my example above, sometimes maybe not obvious.

Thinking about the above is important when you first upload and name a picture file. You should try to name them something that updating still makes sense. For example if you name a file with a version number like "screen_shot_of_xyz_tutorial_in_freecad0.12".... then when someone updates it with a FreeCAD0.14 screen shot then the name makes no sense because the FreeCAD version number has changed.

Jim
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Thanks for the tips. The images I've uploaded are already named, so I didn't change the names.