Folder Structure for Macros?

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chennes
Veteran

Re: Folder Structure for Macros?

Post by chennes »

chrisb wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:28 pm If there would be a parameter controlling in/exclusion of subdirectories would be of further help.
Yes: once we have stopped hardcoding the path to user macros, I definitely imagine there being several ways to set which directories to look in.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

the code is at here:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... mp.cpp#L78
What it does is:
1. retrieve the macro path from parameter or use the user data as default
2. Fill the List box

The list is not needed. Better change to just browse to select a file. Then do whatever one want.
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

chennes wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:48 pm
chrisb wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:28 pm If there would be a parameter controlling in/exclusion of subdirectories would be of further help.
Yes: once we have stopped hardcoding the path to user macros, I definitely imagine there being several ways to set which directories to look in.
What @chrisb writes would be a real simplification for macro management. Running macros from any folder without having to remember the path of the previous folder would be a relief for everyone. The current path specification (e.g. ...AppData/Roaming on Windows) is hard to follow for many users.
… for a happy FreeCAD-World … JM2C …
KurtF

Post by KurtF »

bavariaSHAPE wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:51 am What @chrisb writes would be a real simplification for macro management.
Agreed. After reading this post, I started working on packaging for a macro I'm developing. I chose to use a subfolder under .../Macro to hold class files, icon files, and thread standard lookup tables, keeping the FCMacro files in /Macro. This worked great except for one hard stop... I can't load the class file from subfolder into Macro Editor to work on it.
To get it we must want it. To keep it we must give it away. To give it away we must truly get it.
edwilliams16
Veteran

Post by edwilliams16 »

Another minor annoyance:
The Macro directory finds its way onto the directory history for Save and Save As so I end up accidentally writing FCStd files to the Macro Directory.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

KurtF wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:24 pm
bavariaSHAPE wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:51 am What @chrisb writes would be a real simplification for macro management.
Agreed. After reading this post, I started working on packaging for a macro I'm developing. I chose to use a subfolder under .../Macro to hold class files, icon files, and thread standard lookup tables, keeping the FCMacro files in /Macro. This worked great except for one hard stop... I can't load the class file from subfolder into Macro Editor to work on it.
You should be able to open from the File -> Open menu.