Attachment OXY etc.

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Attachment OXY etc.

Post by drmacro »

edwilliams16 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:05 am @drmacro

Here's my cut on documenting O-X-Y etc. I researched what the defaults did if one only selected two references. https://wiki.freecadweb.org/O-X-Y_type_attachment_modes
Excellent written description!

(I did add a bit of clarification to the Reference 1 instruction. Just drive home the point ("must be a vertex")

If would be nice to get some visualization of the process...
Attachments
VisualizeOXYmode.gif
VisualizeOXYmode.gif (461.38 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

edwilliams16 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:05 am my cut on documenting O-X-Y
Excellent - thank you!
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
edwilliams16
Veteran

Post by edwilliams16 »

drmacro wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:53 pm If would be nice to get some visualization of the process...
I think your animation would be a useful addition. I would make one change - attach to a prism rather than a cube, so you can see what happens when reference2 and reference3 are not perpendicular.
Simbioz

Post by Simbioz »

edwilliams16 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:05 am Here's my cut on documenting O-X-Y etc.
Where is the like button? :D

Your work is much appreciated!
Non native English speaker.
edwilliams16
Veteran

Post by edwilliams16 »

@Simbioz @bambuko
Appreciation is always appreciated!
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

drmacro wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:53 pm ...If would be nice to get some visualization of the process...
Indeed, but...
is there a way of doing it in a way that would allow one to slow down the speed or stop and start the "visualisation"?
.gif are my personal pet hate when used for this purpose ;)
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

bambuko wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:42 am
drmacro wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:53 pm ...If would be nice to get some visualization of the process...
Indeed, but...
is there a way of doing it in a way that would allow one to slow down the speed or stop and start the "visualisation"?
.gif are my personal pet hate when used for this purpose ;)
Hmm...good question. I'm sure there is a way to slow-mo an animated gif. There are plenty of online gif tools to change the speed.

There is definitely a slow-mo setting in YouTube, but those are mp4 or other real video formats.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

@drmacro

Yes, I am aware of ways to slow down .gif but it all involves downloading .gif and processing it - slow and cumbersome (and still can't stop at any convenient point)

YT vids are indeed very easy to slow down, stop and rewind - very good when you following tutorial or some visualisation to explain an issue (for example) but probably not the best solution for Wiki?

I don't know what the real answer is but I keep asking just in case there is someone who knows ;)
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

bambuko wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:29 am @drmacro

Yes, I am aware of ways to slow down .gif but it all involves downloading .gif and processing it - slow and cumbersome (and still can't stop at any convenient point)

YT vids are indeed very easy to slow down, stop and rewind - very good when you following tutorial or some visualisation to explain an issue (for example) but probably not the best solution for Wiki?

I don't know what the real answer is but I keep asking just in case there is someone who knows ;)
I think the wiki will allow other formats. But, I don't know if the speed control is available.
edwilliams16
Veteran

Post by edwilliams16 »

My taste, rather than an animated gif would be a slideshow of a gallery of stills, each depicting a step in the process.
I do find the animated gifs very hard to follow, so I don't try unless I'm out of options. Maybe it is supported in the wiki?

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Ima ... _of_images