ShortCuts

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: ShortCuts

Post by GeneFC »

This single posting explains everything you need to know.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 00#p279079

We will await your pull requests with high expectations. :roll:

Gene
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:38 pm This single posting explains everything you need to know.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 00#p279079

We will await your pull requests with high expectations. :roll:

Gene
Is this answer regarding my question or somewhere else in this tread?)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

If in the future mouse navigation (styles) will become customizable, customization will likely happen elsewhere. Likely in FreeCAD preferences or maybe using navigation indicator:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 69#p160704

If there will be any keyboard shortcuts involved. That part likely could be made customizable by ShortCuts module (QAction).

But the way i understand it, end users would like to define things like Rotate with this mouse button and Zoom with that. Therefore in the end mouse customization support isn't all that keyboard shortcuts related material.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

1D_Inc wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:00 pm Is this answer regarding my question or somewhere else in this tread?)
I am sure you already know this, but FreeCAD does not have paid developers.

Coming to the forum and more or less "demanding" something is not a very productive way to get a new feature.

As Triplus said, a lot of the interface stuff is third party. But whether it is third party or unique to FreeCAD the standard answer for this sort of request is "It's done when it's done." Demanding doesn't work.

My tongue-in-cheek response was simply to say "If it is really important start coding."

Gene
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

triplus wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:53 pm But the way i understand it, end users would like to define things like Rotate with this mouse button and Zoom with that. Therefore in the end mouse customization support isn't all that keyboard shortcuts related material.
That's the question of realization. In GIMP or Blender its a question of shortcuts, in Inkscape or, for example Revit - don't.
In FC... don't know, it is under rapid development, and changes very fast.
All I wanted to know, if there were already thoughts about more flexible mouse navigation customization, I'm interested in.
GeneFC wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:54 pm I am sure you already know this, but FreeCAD does not have paid developers.
Coming to the forum and more or less "demanding" something is not a very productive way to get a new feature.
Well, that was actually just a question.

However, Blender3D development costs me about 300usd monthly (as to any other diamond donator), and even more for several local python developers that already made several large toolsets on my demand (1D_Sripts, Bargool_1D_tools, etc).
So, please, don't worry, I know the way of opensource software growth.

Problem is that I've spent years to make such level of profit for blenderfund, working in b3d (now there is ok there), but faced with some problems (like navigation) when tried to make the same for FreeCAD, so I can't currently increase budget on FreeCAD developement higher than yorik's patreon membership.

Sorry.

But it does not prohibit asking questions on forums)
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

1D_Inc wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:48 pm
triplus wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:53 pm But the way i understand it, end users would like to define things like Rotate with this mouse button and Zoom with that. Therefore in the end mouse customization support isn't all that keyboard shortcuts related material.
That's the question of realization. In GIMP or Blender its a question of shortcuts, in Inkscape or, for example Revit - don't.
In FC... I don't know, it is under rapid development, and changes very fast.
All I wanted to know, if there were already thoughts about more flexible mouse navigation customization, I'm interested in.
GeneFC wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:54 pm I am sure you already know this, but FreeCAD does not have paid developers.
Well, that was actually just a question.

However, Blender3D development costs me about 300usd monthly (as to any other diamond donator), and even more for several local python developers that already made several large toolsets on my demand (1D_Sripts, Bargool_1D_tools, etc).
So, please, don't worry, I know the way of opensource software growth.

Problem is that I've spent years to make such level of profit for blenderfund, working in b3d (now it's is ok there), but faced with some problems (like navigation) when tried to make the same for FreeCAD, so I can't currently increase budget on FreeCAD developement higher than yorik's patreon membership.

Sorry.

But it does not prohibit asking questions on forums)
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

It is not that you are not aloud to ask questions...
We as long time users see a lot that new people comming to the forums and telling us how FC should be because of what they see in package mno. (I now i did this self too so i understand it a bit).
They just don't grap that doing this in spare time is not easy...

As i speak for my self. for me you was one those guys that just hijack a topic with something else(Sorry about that).
The topic goes about python scripting and macros and - specific a tool Triplus had created - not about help or feature request where the help forums and open forums are for.
If you had open a fresh topic this with a bit of explanation what you want and a bit how it could look like. Maybe a picture how blender handles custom mouse models.
One problem in the last few post is what a definition is of a shortcut. In general speaking i think (for computers) a shortcut is a keystroke to use a function that take more time otherwise. like ctrl+c, ctrl+v and ctrl+p are.
From there our discussion became worse

Also we don't see that you pay Yorik or any other contributor for his work here. So we don't know in what way you help (all ready)
It is not the payment that should more If you have a really good idea i guess that some developers are interested.
but as you told it was also difficult to get blender with you. don't expect is much easier here. that's why proposal is important.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

It's right that you attacked a quite well-defended bastion @1D_Inc :D But personally I find new people coming and challenging old "habits" something positive, even if is quite hard that it turns into something real...

Personally I have mixed feelings regarding the "Mouse model" system (one model that configures all mouse buttons vs. have the user able to configure them one by one). Sometimes I find one best, sometimes another.

I guess at the end there is nothing really preventing it... Just needs someone coding it, and the different exiting mouse models could simply become presets...
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

yorik wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:28 pm I guess at the end there is nothing really preventing it... Just needs someone coding it, and the different exiting mouse models could simply become presets...
Thank you for an answer! )
For sure, it is good to have ability to customize navigation to match it to familiar software.

Personaly, I think it would be nice to put to Blender's preset rightmouse hold for pan behavior from Gesture preset - this will allow to remove doubleclick misselecting object while trying LMB+RMB panning, sticking paning on Shift while Shift+MMB, avoid accidental selection while rotating in Gestures LMB, some other frustrating situations, and puts whole havigation to one hand - mouse.

In this case Blender's preset will set to every mouse button with single operator, LMB - for selecting, MMB hold - rotating, MMB single - centering view, RMB hold - pan, RMB single - menu. That will close the circle and bring the harmony)
Single step can solve such many problems.

Sorry for discussing navigation in shotcuts tread, but thats, actually, all I left to say.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Basic support to get a list of set shortcuts was just added:

https://github.com/triplus/ShortCuts/issues/7