NavigationIndicator

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bejant
Veteran

Re: NavigationIndicator

Post by bejant »

Nicely done triplus! Why don't you merge it into master?
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

bejant wrote:Nicely done triplus! Why don't you merge it into master?
+1
Very well done! :D
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

bejant wrote:Nicely done triplus! Why don't you merge it into master?
It's next on the list. It didn't happen yet as i need to invest few hours in it to do that properly (to sort out all the details). And that comes down to few days as i can invest a hour or two in it per day ATM.
easyw-fc wrote:Very well done! :D
Thanks.
ximpot

Post by ximpot »

The functionality if really nice of your addition.
However, I have the following concern - not about the nice implementation, only about where the Widget is placed.
Widget is placed on a global GUI Element (Status bar). This means the Widget is then represented in a Techdraw or Spreadsheet view. This is however still the same for the different view mode Symbols (TOP, LEFT, RIGHT, etc) I do not think 3d Navigation modes are necessary in 2D modules. I would suggest to add a separate Menu/Icon bar to each 3D view to add your functionality, and also move the different view modes (TOP, LEFT, RIGHT, etc). In addition a separate Icon/Menu Bar in the 3D view also saves space in the Global GUI.
Attachments
frame_Layout.png
frame_Layout.png (135.77 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

A bit of background first on where we are ATM. Using NavigationIndicator from my GitHub is still possible in FreeCAD 0.16. With latest update it should only start up in FreeCAD 0.16 or lower. For FreeCAD 0.17 there is now a new pull request here:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/532

Once merged users will be able to use NavigationIndicator in FreeCAD 0.17 and up as a part of the default FreeCAD experience. Note that settings like enabling compact mode aren't shared between them. As for your concerns and suggestions @ximpot.

If we ever move view related commands inside the 3D View. As far as i am concerned the same can happen with the navigation indicator.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: A bit of background first on where we are ATM. Using NavigationIndicator from my GitHub is still possible in FreeCAD 0.16. With latest update it should only start up in FreeCAD 0.16 or lower. For FreeCAD 0.17 there is now a new pull request here:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/532
So for us using 0.16/0.17, leave the previous module as is, and 0.16 will use this and 0.17 will use Tux?
Great job on this!
"fight the good fight"
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

very nice, but the arrow is a bit off for me on windows...

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10150 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 978978f7dd1814083d7b9c9fc4267dba25f58a80
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (1.12 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

sgrogan wrote:So for us using 0.16/0.17, leave the previous module as is, and 0.16 will use this and 0.17 will use Tux?
Great job on this!
Yes. For FreeCAD 0.16 NavigationIndicator can continue to be used like it was used before. It won't start in FreeCAD 0.17+. For FreeCAD 0.17 NavigationIndicator is now part of the default FreeCAD experience.

Tux is a new FreeCAD module and i plan to add a few more UX related pieces of functionality to it in the future. Like PersistentToolbars and things like that. Up to 10 such standalone pieces of functionality (likely less). Mainly based on the work i have already done in the past. I have seen what users used and that will be upstreamed.
saso wrote:very nice, but the arrow is a bit off for me on windows...
I'll test in the following week. Hopefully Windows 7 behaves the same. It's basically standard behaviour. Maybe different type of button or popup mode will improve things and it won't affect something else.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Reference:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 00#p160704
saso wrote:very nice, but the arrow is a bit off for me on windows...
This should be fixed now for both versions (navigation indicator for FreeCAD 0.16 on my GitHub and i made a pull request for the upstreamed version). I decided to leave the arrow styling (before no arrow was used in the compact mode) to the user/stylesheet.

P.S. As for the translations support. I did some initial research and ETA is March 2017.
MMSN

Post by MMSN »

Run awesome in Window Vista! Thanks Triplus. :D