IconThemes

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: IconThemes

Post by triplus »

Note that i have just merged both documentation contributions from @Kunda1 and @st_phan. Nice job and it is shaping up nicely already:

https://github.com/triplus/IconThemes

Basically yes, good call. First maturing the documentation on IconThemes repository location, that makes the most sense. After it can get decided what belongs to FreeCAD Wiki and FreeCAD-icons repository locations.

P.S. Currently i am investing the most time in two areas. FreeCAD-icons/Travis CI effort is shaping up nicely, likely will be finished this week. Don't want to rush it, as it might end up being operational for a couple of years. Therefore it makes sense to read all the documentation, twice. Things like creating and using a machine user, who would have thought such a thing exists. The second area with bumped priority is further progressing icon themes support. That will likely be split in a series of around 3 PRs, first one might happen this week.
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Nice for new users.
justintest999888

Post by justintest999888 »

hello,

I need you help for the workbench 'icontheme" ... I have install it but I want now to go back to the original freecad theme ... BUT when I uninstall your icontheme, freecad stay with grey windows and don't go back even if I reinstall freecad ... !!!

I don't know what to do .... could you help me ??

thanks.

my configuration :

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.27422 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: d938733eaf2c2ce7cb18d1cbb56147185c473530
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)

I have try to delete the folder c:\user\.....\appdata\freecad\roaming\mod and reinstall freecad but I have not get back the original theme of freecad ...

what can I do ??
thanks
Attachments
screen capture icontheme.jpg
screen capture icontheme.jpg (16.96 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

You might need to delete your config files. There is a macro that can help find them called findConfigFiles in the addon manager. You can also try the reset button in edit menu -> preferences.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

OK this addon is a bit weird, it says you need to compile a theme but it works just fine without compiling just copy all svg files in the theme folder and it picks them up. Although it only picks up svg files and my icons are all png files, so that sucks a bit. Wonder if I can tell it too use png files, anyone here experience with creating these rcc files in QT?
Btw the example files are different from the actual theme files.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

But why are they PNG though? SVG scales, PNG doesn't
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

SVG designs are pretty ugly because you can't do good shading. PNG files scale pretty good you can't tell the difference between svg scaled and PNG. I think this maybe was an issue 10 years ago but Qt now doesn't seem too have any issues with scaling png files. Freecad also never upscales too a big size so you can count pixels in a png, so that isn't a thing either.
I see there are ways too just mass dump every png in a svg file, gonna try that.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

MisterMaker wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:08 am SVG designs are pretty ugly because you can't do good shading. PNG files scale pretty good you can't tell the difference between svg scaled and PNG. I think this maybe was an issue 10 years ago but Qt now doesn't seem too have any issues with scaling png files. Freecad also never upscales too a big size so you can count pixels in a png, so that isn't a thing either.
I see there are ways too just mass dump every png in a svg file, gonna try that.
To do such transformations ImageMagick could be a good way, but note that:

SVG where not made to have shades, as they are "vector graphics" so they are suited to reproduce things that scale up in a nice way, having their components defined as "vectorized elements".

PNG if I remember well was a OpenSource solution similar to GIF that are (were) "not Free".

They have simply different targets, and different philosopies.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

I managed to convert the png to a svg wrapper (using ImageMagick ), so maybe a bit stupid... But I have too do, with what I got. Also looked in the code of the add-on if I could see a way to make it skip on the extension. But I have no clue.
Converting process was although in batch it wasn't really bug free, had to batch edit every file and replace a piece of the code to make it work.
Also some svg files still ended up broken. :cry:
But looks good on first sight:
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Yea, looks really good!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs