IconThemes

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
efyx

Re: IconThemes

Post by efyx »

triplus wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:35 pm First, please don't double post
Sorry for that. Please admin remove it.
triplus wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:35 pm P.S. Note that you can always manually install or remove the IconThemes module.
That helped. FreeCAD is working again.

It was on windows, developement version 0.18 16028(Git) but other versions also stop to work.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @efyx

Good to hear you are able to use FreeCAD again, but i need a bit more info, to understand and try to improve things. Therefore please install the IconThemes module again and remove the demo.rcc file from the Gui/Icons folder.

Does FreeCAD start normally after?

If yes, does the problems start to occur only after you have added demo.rcc file to Gui/Icons folder and have registered it from icon themes preferences?
efyx

Post by efyx »

I've install it by addon menager again and it is broken again. I didn't even had chance to import new icons. I checked also directly copying files from github to that folder C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\IconThemes and it is also making FreeCAD not working.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you know on how to start FreeCAD from the CMD on Windows? As that should likely provide more clues, like if there is any Python error detected, before the crash occurs. In addition could you open a file named IconThemesGui.py, located in mod/IconThemes folder, and after remove this two lines located at the end of the file (preferably one by one, therefore doing two tests):

Code: Select all

registerOnStart()
setThemeOnStart()
Any changes?
efyx

Post by efyx »

triplus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:06 am
Ok I've done tests you've wanted. Command line doesn't give any feedback (just don't start - splash screen->quit).
The "registerOnStart()" cause that, "setThemeOnStart()" can stay in code. After removing this line everything works again.

Edit: after launch Tools->Accesories->Icon themes does nothing
in Tools->Accesories->Icon themes legacy only shows (?) actuall icons no option to change anything. Only "D" in bottom bar.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

efyx wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:08 am Ok I've done tests you've wanted. Command line doesn't give any feedback (just don't start - splash screen->quit).
The "registerOnStart()" cause that, "setThemeOnStart()" can stay in code. After removing this line everything works again.
Great, i believe we are narrowing it down. If you add the registerOnStart() line back and after manually create this folder:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Gui\Icons
Any changes? As for the rest of your question. Will answer it tomorrow, after hopefully based on your feedback, the original issue can get resolved.
efyx

Post by efyx »

triplus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:48 pm
OK. Done. It is starting. I can even run Tools->Accessories->Icon themes, but I had to copy demo.rcc to that created folder to see it on Icon themes menager. I cannot switch to new icons. I marked demo.rcc in "Register a resoruce" field and "Set the icon theme:" marked Demo, then close and nothing happened (even after restart).
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

triplus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:06 am In addition could you open a file named IconThemesGui.py, located in mod/IconThemes folder, and after remove this two lines located at the end of the file (preferably one by one, therefore doing two tests):
So is this Py3 / Qt5 compatible?

I just tried it and got nothing... except for a green dot where the top view icon used to be when creating a new document:

Screenshot from 2019-03-22 06-35-41.png
Screenshot from 2019-03-22 06-35-41.png (24.08 KiB) Viewed 1872 times

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16079 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 6363c90a20b296ab69d7b52230009928199d90df
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

efyx wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:29 am OK. Done. It is starting. I can even run Tools->Accessories->Icon themes
Good to hear that. I suspect there is an additional issue on Windows, as FreeCAD shouldn't have crashed, due to such Python issue, discussion here. And note that yesterday i already added the nedded changes to the IconThemes module, to first check if the path exists.
but I had to copy demo.rcc to that created folder to see it on Icon themes menager.
Yes, that is correct.
I cannot switch to new icons. I marked demo.rcc in "Register a resoruce" field and "Set the icon theme:" marked Demo, then close and nothing happened (even after restart).
Look at the image in answer provided by @Joel_graff. If you get the same result, it's working as expected.
Joel_graff wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:39 am So is this Py3 / Qt5 compatible?
Yes.
I just tried it and got nothing... except for a green dot where the top view icon used to be when creating a new document:
Green indicator is what we are after. But fair point, as i guess i could go after a more artful representation. ;) Anyway, what you two are asking for, is on how to do more, for that you need an icon pack. Currently two mayor one exists:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18417
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=34687

P.S. Both don't provide an icon pack as a binary resource (.rcc) just yet. Therefore to enable them follow the legacy option instructions.
Wsk8

Post by Wsk8 »

Hello,
I'm using Linux Mint 19 and my icons look different than on Ubuntu or Windows. I didn't modifiy anything. Does anybody know how i can change the icons to look "normal"?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.
Build type: Release
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Attachments
fc.png
fc.png (10.21 KiB) Viewed 1753 times