Simple iconTheme (v0.5)

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Joel_graff
Veteran

Re: Simple iconTheme (v0.5)

Post by Joel_graff »

This looks amazing. I love the minimalist style. It gives the UI a lighter look - toolbars can make a UI overwhelming, so anything to reduce that is welcome in my mind...

What I really appreciate is the use of a second color in the icons, especially where it helps indicate what, exactly, the icon modifies.
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Amazing job!! Eager to give it a test spin
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

@1D_Inc

That is some quality icon design work made here. A lot of Blender fans and beyond use FreeCAD and for sure will appreciate Blender icons inspired icon pack, specially tailored for FreeCAD. You don't diverge too much, from the original icon shapes. That should make it easier, for users to change the icons and to still be familiar with the commands. I like your approach, that is having a nice overview and just to focus on design aspects of it. And to make all that work good first. Icon pack using the "minimal and thin geometry" approach and having a good color scheme applied. This for sure will turn out to be a nice icon pack!

As for the monochrome version (Simple icon theme). Look at some of the Onshape screenshots. And as seen in the example @dulouie provided, such approach can work good too. I remember some users asking for such icons in the past. That is some just don't like icons with colors. Hopefully therefore we will have both in foreseeable future.

@dulouie

That is rather nice looking setup. And indeed we still have much room for improvements, when it comes to evolving viewport experience, by for example exploring different color schemes. If anybody is good at that, don't forget to share screenshots from time to time here on the forum.
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

Nice!
Well, evaluate the opportunity of monochrome approach will be possible after color coded simplification.
There are some obstacles that i don't know how to get around.
Here is scheme I composed and try to follow, I can't supress anything without loss here yet:
1D_Color Signature.png
1D_Color Signature.png (16.79 KiB) Viewed 1918 times

Overall state (black is redesigned):
ICOS.png
ICOS.png (71.37 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
Last edited by 1D_Inc on Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

630/990 drafted
1D_FC_MOD4.png
1D_FC_MOD4.png (991.07 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

1D_Inc wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:28 pm Well, evaluate the opportunity of monochrome approach will be possible after color coded simplification.
There are some obstacles that i don't know how to get around.
Here is scheme I composed and try to follow, I can't supress anything without loss here yet:
Yes, i feel that your approach, using thin and lightweight geometry and on top of that to apply a good color scheme. That should work out great. Opinion i got based on looking at the previews of your work. With "monochrome approach", what i guess Simple icon theme tries to be and do. Here i guess a play of line widths and up to two shades of some color. Things like that provides the information, differentiation and satisfy the artistic eye and diferent people personal taste. Just striping all colors from your icons therefore likely won't do? Some additional design and aligning related work likely will be needed. Existing icon geometry as a basis, that might end up being reusable. That is if the goal is to have both icons packs in a good shape. But for now i guess best to focus on finishing what you have started. I am rather excited on how fast you are making progress.

P.S. But do take some time off as we don't want you to burnout! ;)
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

Thank you)
Yep, indeed, it was a pretty busy week ;)
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

Here we go, Draft vs Sketcher Shape Conflict)
Trying to figure this out
DS_Conflict.png
DS_Conflict.png (81.72 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

It depends. When using commands from their workbenches, there basically isn't a conflict. If you mix commands from different workbenches. Indeed differentiation could be a problem. But using them in such way usually does require some grouping and things like that. And therefore you usually are able to differentiate groups.

In general you have the luxury of using color. Therefore you could still use some workbench specific color scheme in such situations. To get more differentiation. Or using different geometry approach. Or both.
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

triplus wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:03 pm In general you have the luxury of using color. Therefore you could still use some workbench specific color scheme in such situations. To get more differentiation. Or using different geometry approach. Or both.

Something like that)
Yes, I have color, but also goal to minimize it's quantity (up to monochrome-compartible shapes, figuring out if it is possible).
Using colors in this case is, basically, research, of how much of them is actually needed to get full redesing with no shape conflicts.
I've started from indexed color scheme to identify such problem areas, that cannot be solved without color at the moment.
Want to try to find out shape solution for that cases.

phpBB [video]