Simple iconTheme (v0.5)

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Simple iconTheme (v0.5)

Post by triplus »

1D_Inc wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:55 pm My goal is to provide variation with determined style, I trying to сome out without transparent fills and with single linetype width only.
Heavy minimal style, kind a self challenge.
Wonder if this will work)
Sounds good.

Likely therefore this will end up being a brand new icon theme? What i would recommend is for you to start thinking on how to name it and on were to host the artwork. As forum attachments approach can quickly become inefficient for such tasks. And ideally to start providing icons as standalone files. As for how to name the files. Download or clone the FreeCAD repository. Lets say for Arch module:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/tree/master/src/Mod

If you browse to Arch/Resources/icons folder, icons are in there, you should use the same names. Next version of icon themes module should be made available before April. And then we can turn your work in an icon pack others will be able to use.
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

triplus wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:22 am Likely therefore this will end up being a brand new icon theme? What i would recommend is for you to start thinking on how to name it and on were to host the artwork. As forum attachments approach can quickly become inefficient for such tasks.
Prevoiusly I planned it as icon pack, similar to pablogil's one
https://github.com/pgilfernandez/FreeCA ... eme_simple
I thought, there are all required icons and their names, that's why my work is based on it.
triplus wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:22 am And ideally to start providing icons as standalone files. As for how to name the files.
It is easier to split single file, containing all required icons, to multiple, than vice versa, so it will be final step in icon pack producing scheme
(shape-> colors-> split).
Having host SVG file during creating process making stuff easier, brining more control to a process. It is easier to view and edit.
triplus wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:22 am Download or clone the FreeCAD repository. Lets say for Arch module:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/tree/master/src/Mod
Done. Thank you)
triplus wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:22 am Next version of icon themes module should be made available before April.
There are about 1060 svg's icons in /mod. How is it possible?)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

1D_Inc wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:02 am I thought, there are all required icons and their names, that's why my work is based on it.
Current version of the IconThemes module uses the same name for the icon file name as the corresponding command name:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p142217

New version will use the same name as an actual .svg file name. Command name and the file name can be the same, but that is not always true.
There are about 1060 svg's icons in /mod. How is it possible?)
:lol:
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

All /mod icons
Mein Gott das is exhausting)
FC_ICONS.png
FC_ICONS.png (187.26 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

Well, spreadsheet of all FC icons vs redesigned
income (1104)
F1.png
F1.png (236.58 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
redesigned (250)
F2.png
F2.png (139.51 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

400/1104 drafted
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

500/1104 drafted
Color scheme requires stabilization.
Have a desire to get rid of the yellow color.
1D_FC_MOD.png
1D_FC_MOD.png (995.08 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
dulouie

Post by dulouie »

Nice to see your progress!
FreeCAD can look very pretty, i have made a custom user.cfg with other colors and settings to give FreeCAD a more modern look. I think the user experience is more intuitive and clear. All non major workbenches are hidden and the layout is more like solvespace.
You can try it out: https://github.com/dulouie/FreeCAD-modern-config

Selector toolbar and IconTheme are needed.
Here are some icons missing in partdesign, but 1D_inc is working on:)
sketch-modern.png
sketch-modern.png (97.83 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
freecad-modern.png
freecad-modern.png (172.79 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

545/1104 drafted

Thank you)
Yep, monochrome is definitely looking nice there, but I faced with context complexity of most of specific icons, like Ship or Path or FEM modules - it is incredibly hard to simplipy them in monochrome, as far as their context is depicted by color, and their functions are too much specific.
So I understand pablogil's state.

However, it is going pretty nice with color, it gives extra dimension for depicting context complexity,
so I feel sure that it is possible to redesign entire interface in the same minimalistic CAD style with it.

Now trying to keep color base minimalistic, avoiding yellow and green. While it works out.
We will see)
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

Also I planning to keep mouse navigation icons intouched, as far as they nicely fits into the concept, so there are, basically
545/990 drafted
1D_FC_MOD2.png
1D_FC_MOD2.png (951.08 KiB) Viewed 1472 times