Plug-in for AUTODESK Inventor files

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmplonka

Re: Plug-in for AUTODESK Inventor files

Post by jmplonka »

I can very well understand the frustration about post-installation of the required packages. :(
If anyone has an idea of how to install the packages available in the libs.zip archive, please contact me.

BTW the version linked with the freecad-addon folder is rather old! please use the latest one.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

jmplonka wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:30 pm I can very well understand the frustration about post-installation of the required packages. :(
If anyone has an idea of how to install the packages available in the libs.zip archive, please contact me.

BTW the version linked with the freecad-addon folder is rather old! please use the latest one.
sgrogan wrote: .. ping
may be these libs could be added to the installer
herrdeh

Post by herrdeh »

How can I use the module in ubuntu?

I managed to install xlwt and xlrd
sudo apt install python-xlwt
sudo apt install python-xlrd
I found
sudo apt install python3-pip
and in the end
sudo pip3 install xlutils
The system stated "xlutils installed successfully - but at FC (addon manager) still there is the message "missing python module xlutils"

What can I do?

Cheers,
Wolf
jmplonka

Post by jmplonka »

herrdeh wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:23 pm How can I use the module in ubuntu?

I managed to install xlwt and xlrd
sudo apt install python-xlwt
sudo apt install python-xlrd
I found
sudo apt install python3-pip
and in the end
sudo pip3 install xlutils
The system stated "xlutils installed successfully - but at FC (addon manager) still there is the message "missing python module xlutils"
What can I do?
Hi Wolf,

as I don't have FC on linux, I only can give you the hint from https://pypi.org/project/xlutils/ :?
https://pypi.org/project/xlutils/
In the folder of InventorLoader you should find an archive (libs.zip).
Just extract it whereever you like.
Navigate to each subfolder on the terminal.
for each subfolder run:
  • #.../olefile > python ./setup.py install
  • #.../xlrd-1.1.0 > python ./setup.py install
  • #.../xlwt-1.3.0 > python ./setup.py install
  • #.../xlutils-2.0.0 > python ./setup.py install
mybe the installLibs.py script in the root folder of the archive will do the job for you as well - but I couldn't test it on Linux.

Cheers
-Jens
herrdeh

Post by herrdeh »

Allright, that worked. Thank you very much.
I had to use ubuntu's "setuptools", those installed by "pip3 install setuptools" do not work; all your install commands have to be "sudo"ed. - Anyway.

Now - I successfully imported my desired part, so I'm happy.
Nevertheless - the import feature behaves unexpectedly. It might be a good idea to achieve access to a linux machine and have a look, it would be too much to explain.

Anyway - thank you very much for the module - it solved a major problem for me!

Cheers,
Wolf
jmplonka

Post by jmplonka »

herrdeh wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:49 am ...
Nevertheless - the import feature behaves unexpectedly.
Glad to hear that you were able to import your work.
For the unexpected feature strategy: What exactly didn't work and would it be possible for you to send me your file along with a PM?
jmplonka

Post by jmplonka »

Thank you for sharing the example.

Your part consists of:
  • 2D-Sketch 'ТРАЕКТОРИЯ ХОМУТА ! вкл.'
  • Extrusion 'головка'
  • Fillet 'Сопряжение1'
  • Sweep 'Сдвиг1'
  • Sweep 'Сдвиг2'
  • Chamfer 'Фаска1'
  • Chamfer 'Фаска2'
  • Fillet 'Сопряжение2'
Unfortunately the fillets and chamfers are not yet implemented (I currently working on it). Therefore 'Сопряжение2' will not be created. Unfortunately each of the other objects are linked to this fillet. :o

The parameters you're using will be collected in a table 'T_Parameters' (please compare it with Inventors "Manage"->"Parameters").
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

jmplonka wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:47 pm Glad to hear that you were able to import your work.
Hi @jmplonka
Your WB is becoming very useful also for KiCAD & FreeCAD collaboration.
At the 3D models library of KiCAD we have many contributors, and some of them are not using FreeCAD. So if someone wnats to contribute with a model designed with a different CAD modeller, this is allowed.
The nice thing is that through your WB, Inventor models can be reworked in FreeCAD if needed :D
Here a thread in GH
https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-packages ... e/pull/174
If you want to play with the model, here it is the link:
LairdTech_28C0236-0JW-10.ipt
Inventor-importing-in-FreeCAD.png
Inventor-importing-in-FreeCAD.png (343.87 KiB) Viewed 3013 times
inventor-preview.png
inventor-preview.png (41.54 KiB) Viewed 3013 times
Few small things I noticed:
1) The 'Native' importer is missing a fillet ... (but I think this is a feature in your to-do)
2) The 'Native' importer creates features, assigning each one a 'Shaded' view... would it possible to simple leave the view as the standard (DisplayMode "Flat Lines") and eventually change the view for all the document? In this way it easier to switch back to the standard view mode, just acting on the document view.
3) The 'convert to STEP' importer does all the job as the STEP file exported from inventor itself
4) Both 'Native' and 'convert to STEP' are missing colors... Colors are instead present on the Inventor preview dialog...

Do you think some of these points could be implemented?

Thanks again for your WB.
Maurice
jmplonka

Post by jmplonka »

easyw-fc wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:46 pm Few small things I noticed:
1) The 'Native' importer is missing a fillet ... (but I think this is a feature in your to-do)
2) The 'Native' importer creates features, assigning each one a 'Shaded' view... would it possible to simple leave the view as the standard (DisplayMode "Flat Lines") and eventually change the view for all the document? In this way it easier to switch back to the standard view mode, just acting on the document view.
3) The 'convert to STEP' importer does all the job as the STEP file exported from inventor itself
4) Both 'Native' and 'convert to STEP' are missing colors... Colors are instead present on the Inventor preview dialogue...
1) You're right - Fillets and Chamfers are on my to-do list and I'm currently working on it. But unfortunately I'm struggling sorting out the correct line indices.
2) This is a workaround I missed to withdraw. It is planned to assign the view properties as defined in IPT files.
3) That was at least the plan, but unfortunately I'm fighting to resolve the surface's refs and implement missing curves and surfaces:
  • helix_spl_cur - helical curve
  • srf_srf_v_bl_spl_sur - some kind of blend spline surface?
  • sweep_sur - sweep surface.
  • comp_spl_sur - composed spline surface.
So if anyone has more information about how to resolve surface's references - just let me know. Importing SAT directly is a little bit postponed, because
  1. resolving surface edges is a little bit tricky and leads sometimes to the wrong result
  2. colours are missing
  3. not all types of curves and surfaces are implemented (see above)
4) see 2), but until I find a solution for 1) I will start working on supporting colours and other view properties.
BTW: InventorLoader is not (yet?) a Workbench, it's "only" an addon/plugin. There are no additional new "Features" like iMates (allowing to parametrize a set of Part variant - e.g. Part with defined set of length, diameters, ... )

ps: thank you for sharing the example.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

jmplonka wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:33 am I will start working on supporting colours and other view properties.
Thanks a lot :D

Just another side note...
I noticed an issue on features like Extrusions or Revolutions etc when based on a Sketch.
The Sketch doesn't get loaded as Sketch, but as a Face (Shape)...
Here a screenshot

inventor-loader-sketch.png
inventor-loader-sketch.png (126.12 KiB) Viewed 2978 times