Woodworking - getDimensions

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dprojects

Re: Woodworking - getDimensions

Post by dprojects »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:39 pmConda appimage (if you're on linux) ?
Yes, I have Ubuntu right now on my laptop but have no idea what you are writing about. What is that?

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

acousticguy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:38 pm Is there a nice way to set the display units to inches
I am close to solve inches issue. There is more changes needed than I assumed before. The calculation seems to work fine in inches but need to figure out how to add "in" name instead of "mm". The getValueAs() is not working correctly I guess. It cut off the "mm" symbols and leave only values in inches.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

dprojects wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:47 pm Yes, I have Ubuntu right now on my laptop but have no idea what you are writing about. What is that?
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.18_pre
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

I have just tested with the freecad-daily and it is working fine, as before. So I have to check something else?

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

dprojects

Post by dprojects »

acousticguy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:38 pm Is there a nice way to set the display units to inches in the Macro?
I have just released version for inches support here: https://github.com/dprojects/getDimensi ... sInches.py
I am not sure if this is correct of doing this but looks like it is working fine. There is option for units so you can change it to "mm", "m", "cm", "dm", "in" - inches. "fo" - foot not work, don't know why.

Also I am not sure if this is proper way of square area calculation? just a*b ?
In Poland we cut board in "mm" and we pay for square meters. Don't know how it looks in US with inches metric system. You pay for square inches and cut wood in inches?

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

dprojects

Post by dprojects »

I have already updated the macro. I have just added the support for TechDraw printing.
Now the TechDraw page is automatically generated. https://github.com/dprojects/getDimensions

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

This is cool and needs to get more visibility. would you be interested in making a screencast or even a clip explaining the macro ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:47 am This is cool and needs to get more visibility. would you be interested in making a screencast or even a clip explaining the macro ?
Anyone is welcome to make youtube video about that or any other tutorials. You can make this macro to be part of FreeCAD as well. No problem with that. Maybe someday I will join it too, who knows.

Regarding visibility I made small feature named "toggle visibility". This feature has been designed for different colors of chipboards at the same furniture, the square meters has different prices then. So You do not have to create different FreeCAD project with different colors only at the same furniture. You can just toggle visibility, create TechDraw view with macro, print and then toggle visibility for different group of items, generate TechDraw view with macro again and print.

https://github.com/dprojects/getDimensi ... visibility

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

dprojects

Post by dprojects »

I want to make new furniture to my garage so I updated the macro with new features.

There is new "Summary By Colors Feature" https://github.com/dprojects/getDimensi ... rs-feature and the whole code has been improved a lot. Now the units should works fine at TechDraw report as well. Hope, everything You need still working fine and You will find the new feature useful as I find.

If anyone see any other feature that can be added to make furniture creation easier just let me know here or just open issue at github project.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

dprojects

Post by dprojects »

I made new furniture to garage and I found new useful things that can be added to this FreeCAD macro. So. I redesign the main logic of the code to improve different reports (now you can list names, or quantity, or group elements). Now the group feature should work fine even if you don't have special folder tree. Also edge and other features works with arrays. Hope, you find it useful as well. Thanks. https://github.com/dprojects/getDimensions

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects