help on sheet metal script

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: help on sheet metal script

Post by chrisb »

I'm afraid a bug report won't help, "Invalid tolerance value" comes usually from the third party OCC kernel.
-alex- wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:55 pm However I can't remove the peripheral fillets after an offset because I need them in my workflow.
What do you mean by that? Do you want to generate the models with python? Then you may consider modeling them in a more stable way not relying on edges or vertices, e.g. by starting with a sketch which contains the fillet itself.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
UR_
Veteran

Post by UR_ »

tanderson69 had posted a comment concerning "invalid tolerances" on shells. :?

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... ap#p232289
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

-alex- wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:55 pm Thanks to have checked geometry, I didn't think to do that. However I can't remove the peripheral fillets after an offset because I need them in my workflow.
Hi,
you can unfold your "Error-unfold-sheet-metal-with-part-fillet.FCStd" file, if you use i.e. Defeaturing WB tool and unfold the result.
Here the unfolded file, where your last fillet is conserved ...
unfold1.png
unfold1.png (102.35 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
-
Regarding your last file, where last fillet is on the border of the shape, I don't see why you need to add this last fillet before unfolding...

-
fillet1.png
fillet1.png (159.67 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

chrisb wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:28 pm What do you mean by that? Do you want to generate the models with python? Then you may consider modeling them in a more stable way not relying on edges or vertices, e.g. by starting with a sketch which contains the fillet itself.
No, I wan't not to generate models with python (BTW I have no skills about that), I would like to share a tutorial about sheet metal, but not about native FC model or cartesian models. I mean about imported step parts or part with complex geometry (far from cartesian shape).
This kind: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=34593
In order to prepare such kind of part for unfolding I have my workflow. The end of this workflow concerns peripheral fillets. Of course I could stop the workflow to the previous step, namely the offset feature. But that would be pity. If I do this peripheral fillets should be added on the unfold sketch, IMHO it is not convenient.
(This limitation about peripheral fillets does not occure with traditional sheetmetal workflow, I mean by using sheetmetal WB features)

easyw-fc wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:34 pm Regarding your last file, where last fillet is on the border of the shape, I don't see why you need to add this last fillet before unfolding...
Sorry my bad: see edit https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 80#p303748
Last edited by -alex- on Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Fillets should be modeled as late as possible, this holds for other CAD programs as well, e.g. https://community.plm.automation.siemen ... ba-p/25914. You should consider this when creating a tutorial.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

chrisb wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:32 pm Fillets should be modeled as late as possible.....
Sure, but the peripheral fillets I'm talking about are the last features, so what the mater?
Or you mean about bend fillets on the extruded shell feature in my part? Well if it's about that I can't do in an other way, it's too convenient to use it in my workflow.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

In the model you have uploaded the fillets are applied to the face and not to the extruded solid. So the extrude comes after the fillet, which means the fillet is not the last feature.
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

chrisb wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:34 am In the model you have uploaded the fillets are applied to tha face and not to the extruded solid. So the extrude comes after the fillet, which means the fillet is not the last feature.
Yes you are right, so you are talking about "bend's fillets". I have to process this way otherwise the workflow I'm talking about doesn't exist anymore...
However, remember I have no any directly related troubles about the fillets of bends, troubles seem due to very last peripheral fillets only.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

-alex- wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:50 pm Sorry my bad: see edit https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 80#p303748
Please don't edit old post but create a new post referring to the previous wrong post...
Editing previous post is getting very difficult to follow the thread workflow, because your editing is making previous replies out of the contest...
Moreover you missed to read my previous reply in which I also uploaded the unfolded file "Error-unfold-sheet-metal-with-part-fillet-unfolded.FCStd":
easyw-fc wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:34 pm you can unfold your "Error-unfold-sheet-metal-with-part-fillet.FCStd" file, if you use i.e. Defeaturing WB tool and unfold the result.
Here the unfolded file, where your last fillet is conserved ...
-
And here your latest file unfolded
unfolded.png
unfolded.png (93.99 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

easyw-fc wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:52 am Please don't edit old post ...
Copy that ;)

easyw-fc wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:52 am Moreover you missed to read my previous reply
I have read it, ok it's a way to avoid the problem and to get unfolded part, but it adds one step in addition. If no choice I will do in this way, thanks.