help on sheet metal script

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: help on sheet metal script

Post by Kunda1 »

jaisejames wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:17 am Experimenting forming tool.
Coolness!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
jaisejames

Post by jaisejames »

Step for using forming tool

First select a face on sheetmetal
Then select align face on forming tool & any other faces required to remove. [Atleast one face on forming tool & one face on sheetmetal required to work forming tool]
forming tool1.png
forming tool1.png (14.49 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
click on forming tool
forming tool2.png
forming tool2.png (16.25 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
Adjust thickness of forming created or Adjust placement by gap1, gap2, gap3

In case partdesign, you need to use shape binder for forming tool
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for this very interesting development!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Really nice!!
shaise

Post by shaise »

I have not merged this feature to sheetmetal WB since the result is not sheetmetal and can not be ubfolded,
but I did just merged jaisejames's wire -> sheet feature which is very nice. Thanks jaisejames!
wiresheet1.png
wiresheet1.png (35.65 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
wiresheet2.png
wiresheet2.png (51.2 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

shaise wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:39 am I have not merged this feature to sheetmetal WB since the result is not sheetmetal and can not be ubfolded,
I would say that formed/ punched forms can be unfolded ans they should be just make a flat sheet. could in such a case not created a kind of internal defeaturing be implemented? see for example in creo (around 7 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U_qi9z0yog)
jaisejames

Post by jaisejames »

I can add a toggle like Suppress feature - True/False. During unfolding, we set to True so it will affect unfolding.
safri_jefro

Post by safri_jefro »

Jee-Bee wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:36 pm I would say that formed/ punched forms can be unfolded ans they should be just make a flat sheet. could in such a case not created a kind of internal defeaturing be implemented? see for example in creo (around 7 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U_qi9z0yog)
I don't completely agree that formed features should be able to be flattened.
In the same process the edges are lasered/punched and most formed features are added. For me, this indicates that the flat pattern should contain the formed features. Even if it is done in a secondary production step, you still want to know where they should be and then they are on the same page as the flat pattern.

But the proposal of jaisejames to be able to supress them at will is probably a good compromise.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Sheet metal workbench is not only used for sheet metal forming and lasercut. So it would be great to to have this configurable.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

safri_jefro wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:57 am But the proposal of jaisejames to be able to supress them at will is probably a good compromise.
Suppressing gives the same result as what i said. I had maybe some vague language.
Basically the most used reason to make a flat pattern is that it is used for laser cutting... in that case you want to neglect the punch / form. I can imagine to have a option inside the flat pattern if you want to ignore punches/ forms so the punch or form stay as is or it makes it flat/ suppress it.