help on sheet metal script

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
User avatar
f3nix
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 11:58 am

Re: help on sheet metal script

Postby f3nix » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:40 pm

Hi.
Could someone check if this is reproducible? Or am I missing something?

I'm using 4mm steel in this example.

It should be a 90x90 L-bracket.

1. kfactor set to 0,86 and unfold parameter set to true
Total unfolded length is 172,98mm
This is right for a cnc press I will be using.

2. kfactor set to 0,86 and unfold parameter set to false.
Select a face and click unfold. Leave the checkboxes unchecked.
Total unfolded length is 172,33mm

3. kfactor set to 0,86 and unfold parameter set to false.
Select a face and click unfold. Set manual k-factor to 0,86.
Total unfolded length is 175,69mm.

Thanks for your great work! :)

Cheers,
Mateusz

FreeCAD SheetMetal - 557a8fb67d903ffb8b8f6a640d192da5b56a7501
---
OS: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15592 (Git)
Build type: Debug
Branch: master
Hash: a7c0f4bc5b62ec304a5855796ca3d10a42c7a46e
Python version: 2.7.15+
Qt version: 5.11.3
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Polish/Poland (pl_PL)
---
Attachments
L-bracket-test.FCStd
(20.55 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
User avatar
bavariaSHAPE
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:31 am

Re: help on sheet metal script

Postby bavariaSHAPE » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:07 pm

Hello dear FreeCAD forum friends,

while working into the Sheet Metal WB I noticed the following:

1. relief Type set to round
2. relief factor set to true

Result: »relief Type« is displayed »rectangle«, not »round«. The »relief factor« is used correctly.

If I switch the »Use Relief factor« to false again, the »relief Type« is »round« again.
sheetmetal_relief-factor.jpg
sheetmetal_relief-factor.jpg (43.65 KiB) Viewed 748 times
Can anyone reproduce that?

:idea: Achim

Sheet Metal: V0.2.20 10 Jan 2019

OS: Windows 7
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13509 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 0258808ccb6ba3bd5ea9312f79cd023f1a8671b7
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Attachments
Parameter.FCStd
(27.72 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Gruß Achim (der Bau-Raum/FreeCAD)
jaisejames
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:51 am

Re: help on sheet metal script

Postby jaisejames » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:36 pm

Round relief is with half circle. It work only if depth is greater width of relief.

Reason - no of face created in rectangle is three. no of face created need to be three in round also. If not whatever features created after that keep jumping due to face number change during toggling rectangle to round.
jaisejames
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:51 am

Re: help on sheet metal script

Postby jaisejames » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:58 am

f3nix wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:40 pm
Hi.
Could someone check if this is reproducible? Or am I missing something?

I'm using 4mm steel in this example.

It should be a 90x90 L-bracket.

1. kfactor set to 0,86 and unfold parameter set to true
Total unfolded length is 172,98mm
This is right for a cnc press I will be using.

2. kfactor set to 0,86 and unfold parameter set to false.
Select a face and click unfold. Leave the checkboxes unchecked.
Total unfolded length is 172,33mm

3. kfactor set to 0,86 and unfold parameter set to false.
Select a face and click unfold. Set manual k-factor to 0,86.
Total unfolded length is 175,69mm.

Thanks for your great work! :)

Cheers,
Mateusz

FreeCAD SheetMetal - 557a8fb67d903ffb8b8f6a640d192da5b56a7501
---
OS: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15592 (Git)
Build type: Debug
Branch: master
Hash: a7c0f4bc5b62ec304a5855796ca3d10a42c7a46e
Python version: 2.7.15+
Qt version: 5.11.3
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Polish/Poland (pl_PL)
---
Thank for reporting issue. I request Shaise to correct it.
User avatar
shaise
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:11 am

Re: help on sheet metal script

Postby shaise » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:23 am

Hi f3nix,

The problem is difference between European and American standard of k_facror (one of them is 1/2 the other). I have now changed the unfold system to European standard (which is compatible with Ulrich's original unfolder script). Now both unfolding from the properties, and the unfolding button match.
Please update.

shai
jaisejames
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:51 am

Re: help on sheet metal script

Postby jaisejames » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:46 pm

Solid Shape to Sheet metal Tutorial.

Steps:
[example created using 70 x 50 x 30 cube ]

Step 1 - Fillet all Object to (thickness + radius ). say thk = 1.0 & Radius = 1.0 .So fillet radius = 1.0 +1.0 = 2.0
solid_to_sheetmetal_1.png
solid_to_sheetmetal_1.png (15.04 KiB) Viewed 601 times
Step 2 - Change to draft workbench, select faces required & select facebinder tool
solid_to_sheetmetal_2.png
solid_to_sheetmetal_2.png (34.23 KiB) Viewed 601 times
Step 3 - Change to Part work Bench, use 3d offset & set -1mm for inside one.
solid_to_sheetmetal_3.png
solid_to_sheetmetal_3.png (11.23 KiB) Viewed 601 times
unfolding view
solid_to_sheetmetal_4.png
solid_to_sheetmetal_4.png (3.99 KiB) Viewed 601 times
User avatar
f3nix
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 11:58 am

Re: help on sheet metal script

Postby f3nix » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:36 pm

jaisejames wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:58 am
Thank for reporting issue. I request Shaise to correct it.
shaise wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:23 am
Hi f3nix,

The problem is difference between European and American standard of k_facror (one of them is 1/2 the other). I have now changed the unfold system to European standard (which is compatible with Ulrich's original unfolder script). Now both unfolding from the properties, and the unfolding button match.
Please update.

shai
Hi!
Thank you both! :)
Discussion continued on GitHub.

Cheers,
Mateusz
jaisejames
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:51 am

Re: help on sheet metal script

Postby jaisejames » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:53 am

A simple Solid shape to sheet metal tool
solid model.png
solid model.png (7.33 KiB) Viewed 540 times
solid to sheetmetal.png
solid to sheetmetal.png (14.72 KiB) Viewed 540 times
Code attached.
Attachments
SheetMetalSolidtoSMCmd.py
(11.82 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
chrisb
Posts: 21384
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: help on sheet metal script

Postby chrisb » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:01 pm

Interesting extension. Will it be integrated in SheetMetal?
User avatar
shaise
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:11 am

Re: help on sheet metal script

Postby shaise » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:54 pm

jaisejames wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:53 am
A simple Solid shape to sheet metal tool
Great feature!

However I found out that the order of selecting the edges sometimes generate error.
For example in the attached file, if you select the edges in the following order, it makes an error:
solidsm1.png
solidsm1.png (26.06 KiB) Viewed 488 times
The error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\Downloads\download\freecad\FreeCAD_0.18\Mod\FreeCAD_SheetMetal\SheetMetalSolidtoSMCmd.py", line 150, in execute
selFaceNames = fp.baseObject[1], MainObject = fp.baseObject[0])
File "D:\Downloads\download\freecad\FreeCAD_0.18\Mod\FreeCAD_SheetMetal\SheetMetalSolidtoSMCmd.py", line 129, in smShape
base_solid = base_shell.makeOffsetShape(thk, 0.001, inter = False, self_inter = False, offsetMode = 0, join = 0, fill = True)
<class 'Part.OCCError'>: Geom_RectangularTrimmedSurface::U1==U2

But if you select in different order, it can work.
Attachments
testsolidsm.FCStd
(3.39 KiB) Downloaded 20 times