pip-integration in addon-manager

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
looo
Veteran

Re: pip-integration in addon-manager

Post by looo »

Actually the 0.18-pre PY2 Win x64 have all the needed pip stuff. easyw-fc showed me how to make it work. It's not advertised because of the compiled extension limitations, but for pure python it's useful.
good to know. Where are the python-packages installed for the FreeCAD-build? Maybe the constraining works for the included compiled python-packages.
sgrogan wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:16 pm For the Win portable builds and the AppImages, we should consider including this including your pip-integration work. This would allow to lighten the binary packages. If it's easy for the user to get the stuff into the right environment we (FreeCAD) don't need to provide it.
I started to like pip. If you know how it works it is a good tool. But if you don't know it's possible to end up with a broken system. The weak point of pip for endusers is the dependency-handling. Any pure python package dependent on numpy has the ability to install a incompatible version of that library. To avoid this we should constraint compiled libraries commonly used by freecad. As shown this is possible with the constraint-file. The downside of this is that these libraries have to be shipped with freecad (or should be dependencies of freecad if freecad is installed with any system-package-manager or conda)

So yes, I think we should definitely try to get pip/pypi integrated into freecad.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

looo wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:07 pm Where are the python-packages installed for the FreeCAD-build?
FreeCAD-build/bin/Lib/site-packages
If the Win intaller.exe was used the is C:\PtogramFiles/bin/Lib/site-packages and admin rights are required to install additional packages here.
looo wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:07 pm So yes, I think we should definitely try to get pip/pypi integrated into freecad.
I'm talking about adding it to the 0.18_pre win builds and appimage now, to further testing, even before integration in master?

see also here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31103
Maybe a good test case?
"fight the good fight"
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

sgrogan wrote:I'm talking about adding it to the 0.18_pre win builds and appimage now, to further testing, even before integration in master?
yes the pip integration tool is a package itself, so adding it to any distribution/bundle should be fine (see my efforts for the appimage). Once it's tested, it is easy to copythe content src/Ext/freecad of the freecad-repository...
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

jbernardis

Post by jbernardis »

I don't understand your solution here. I have both FreeCad 0.18.1 and FreeCad 0.17 on my system, but 0.17 does not come up. I see the splash screen, but nothing comes up afterwards, and there is no log file. It sounds like this issue being discussed here might be my issue, but I don't understand the last post. What exactly do I need to do to try this fix?

Thanks
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Not sure if I understand what you want to acchiev. We see other issues with the pip-integration tools for mac. So maybe it's better to not use it right now or help with developing a better implementation. I guess addons depending on pypi packages should be discussed again and a proposal should be made how to handle this in the future. We now see which problems we have (problems to due missing dependency handling of addonmanager, pip allows to install incompatible packages, pip-integration-tool is not working properly on all plattforms...)