Creating a new workbench for photovoltaic

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Creating a new workbech for photovoltaic

Post by Kunda1 »

Nice!
Would love to see a demo when you're ready :D
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:38 pm
Nice!
Would love to see a demo when you're ready :D
Any progress on this ?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

bump
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Yet another bump
Solarman

Re: Creating a new workbench for photovoltaic

Post by Solarman »

Hi.

i was as well thinking about a solar-wb to integrate a complex pipeline of different existing tools, starting with yield analysis of a location to automated placement with sort of shadowing constraints. I'm not a big python fan but i can supply architecture and numerical simulations (solar array modeling, auto generation of mounting structures, yield prediction, performance optimization (incl. island and smart grid systems), structural analysis, BoM, etc.). lot's of algorithms are available in high quality python code (NREL, SAM, etc.) already.

I think FreeCAD would be perfect for such a development.
JavierBrana

Post by JavierBrana »

Hi,

Yeah, still I am working on this, but lot of problems....

first one is python is not my language so I have to learn it.
second, very few info about FreeCAD API. For example, I am following advances that they have in trail workbench for civil works and they use mesh to work with terrain. I think it is good idea but when I try to work with it I cant do. Normally we import the land in plain format, I mean a 2D boundary and the cloud of points I use is public info or form government (in this case in Spain) so they give you big data for big land and we have to cut it. I try to search about how to trim the mesh by code but no API, only MESH-tool.
The same to colorize faces. As i could not find info about this, I decided use FEM-MESH but this is a complicated method.
Another big problem I found is that the big amount of memory that this software or python uses. And this is not the big problem, the one is that after do all the operations it does not free it. And example is, when i work with the cloud of points, only selecting it, they eat 2Gb, operation... I dont know because when it goes close to 5Gb my linux breaks. And the same, after finish memory does not get free.

I am searching for a good algorithm to positioning the panels/structures and over all it must efficient. It can be a nest or tilling or paneling but i think it is not correct algorithms to do this.

So, if you want make a group, we can. I will continue trying. Commercial soft are very expensive and not very useful.
JavierBrana

Post by JavierBrana »

One question.

I am using FreeCAD 0.19 as Appimage. How can I install python modules? because the python FreeCAD uses is one in the packet so I can not use the linux console.
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

I was working on an automatic solar module generator before.

Input parameters are the roof geometry including a "padding" which is a distance on the 4 sides of the roof that sigifies that a module cannot be places there. There is a algorithm that automatically places the modules on the roof area. I even partially implemented the ability to integrate obstacles like a window or chimney, where modules also cannot be placed.

Module dimensions can also be set.

solarmodule-objekt-1.png
solarmodule-objekt-1.png (382.71 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
screenshot-3.png
screenshot-3.png (134.98 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
FreeCAD als Maschinenbauer in die Konstruktion und Fertigung integrieren. Schulung buchen: www.alsado.de/freecad-schulungen
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

JavierBrana wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:36 pm One question.

I am using FreeCAD 0.19 as Appimage. How can I install python modules? because the python FreeCAD uses is one in the packet so I can not use the linux console.
Yes, lets figure this out and add it to the AppImage wiki page.
I think it may be as simple as making sure that you import the python library in to the path where FC can see it.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 26#p202926