FreeCAD python type definitions, code documentation

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD python type definitions, code documentation

Post by vocx »

Bayesian wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:20 am ... I just want to share some of my experiences with getting to know it. ...
Oh, please do. When FreeCAD was started, Python wasn't as popular as it is now. In the last 17 years it has significantly expanded. I presume you also don't write code the same way you did in the beginning. Current developers are still learning to do things; in fact, learning is never a finished task. Refactoring isn't a bad thing per se, and any help is welcomed.
Last edited by vocx on Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Bayesian

Post by Bayesian »

FreeCAD reminds me a lot of Blender. Blender was also started 20 years ago, when the paradigm was "Write Applications in C/C++, extend them with Python". Now it's more like "Write Applications in Python, extend/accelerate them with C/C++/Rust and GPU".
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

An exemple of stubs generated by community for Revit API as auto completion don't work natively : https://github.com/gtalarico/ironpython-stubs

I would love to have something like this in FreeCAD. As project above works on any (.NET?) .dll and is based on another project adapting it for FreeCAD .so/.dll might be not a too big effort.
I blog about HVAC / BIM / Energy : pythoncvc.net. If you like you can follow the RSS feed.