Macro CirclePlus - Refining the wiki page

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Kunda1

Macro CirclePlus - Refining the wiki page

Postby Kunda1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:53 pm

mario52 wrote:
Hey @mario52, I took a look at the wiki page for Macro CirclePlus and found some issues:

Can you review the changes I made to the macro wiki page so far and see if they are OK?

What did you mean when you wrote:
The circle is still facing the screen (with getCameraOrientation) (or give the placement)
BTW, How do i fix typos in the macro?
For example:

Code: Select all

self.PB_03_Reset_Coordinate.setToolTip("Reset the coordinate value " + "\n"
                                                                            "Same click mouse in the 3D view")
What does "Same click mouse in the 3D view" mean?

Edit: attached the modified macro (it would be easier to use github, should we?)
CirclePlusMacro.txt
(67.68 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
vocx

Re: Macro CirclePlus - Refining the wiki page

Postby vocx » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:49 am

Kunda1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:53 pm
Edit: attached the modified macro (it would be easier to use github, should we?)
CirclePlusMacro.txt
It seems that all of mario's macros are in a Gist page https://gist.github.com/mario52a

It'd be much easier if he just created the Mario Workbench with all his stuff and properly hosted his macros in a Git repository.

He has a FreeCAD repository, that is just empty, https://github.com/mario52a/FreeCAD
mario52

Postby mario52 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:24 pm

hi
Kunda1 wrote:
Can you review the changes I made to the macro wiki page so far and see if they are OK?
ok
Kunda1 wrote:
BTW, How do i fix typos in the macro?
try change 61 by 71 (line 454)

Code: Select all

self.CB_05_Segment.setGeometry(QtCore.QRect(90, 240, 61, 18))
Kunda1 wrote:
What does "Same click mouse in the 3D view" mean?
same result if you click in the button or in the 3D view screen for unselect the objects
vocx wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:49 am
It'd be much easier if he just created the Mario Workbench with all his stuff
many of my macros are included in WorkFeature, (easier in freecad in Draft workbench)
vocx wrote:
and properly hosted his macros in a Git repository.
i try but always Key Error .... then.

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Dialog creation. My macros on Gist.github.
vocx

Postby vocx » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:13 am

mario52 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:24 pm
vocx wrote:
and properly hosted his macros in a Git repository.
i try but always Key Error .... then.

mario
Kunda1 wrote:
(it would be easier to use github, should we?)
Hey Kunda, why don't you help Mario set up a Github repository? You could get all his macros in your own repository, and then give access to Mario as co-owner or something like that.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:58 pm

I want to acknowledge a lot of effort has gone in to making the wiki -> addon manager connection work. But there is an issue with accessibility bottleneck to fix macros for whatever reason, which my original post point to (and so does vocx).

So we have a potential Bus Factor scenario here, that since mario is the owner of the Gists, that if, god forbid, something is subject to happen... all those gists wouldn't be editable anymore. So the idea of adding these macros to the FreeCAD-macro WB under the FreeCAD Github organization, starts to make more sense (to me). Furthermore, users could also make pull requests to fix typos, improve macros, translate...etc...
mario52 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:24 pm
Care to weigh in ?
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:00 pm

also would love to have @galou_breizh in on this discussion
mario52

Postby mario52 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:21 pm

hi

i prefer stay with my Gist and the Wiki link,

the follow in GitHub FreeCAD is not easy example Macro_FCCircularText.FCMacro in FreeCAD-Macros version "00.11" "12/06/2015

the latest version is 0.14-2 : 2019/07/22

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Dialog creation. My macros on Gist.github.
vocx

Postby vocx » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:34 pm

Kunda1 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:58 pm
... that since mario is the owner of the Gists, that if, god forbid, something is subject to happen... all those gists wouldn't be editable anymore.
They are editable. They would just need to be forked first.
So the idea of adding these macros to the FreeCAD-macro WB under the FreeCAD Github organization, starts to make more sense (to me).
I don't think the macros section in the wiki was meant to have very complex code; it was meant to have short snippets. But some of the macros are indeed quite complex, like WorkFeatures, and many of mario's macros. It makes sense to place them in a workbench.

I think the problem is essentially that Mario doesn't know how to use Git. That's what I mean, if you set up a repo for him, and teach him how to edit things, then he should have no problems. In Github, the owners of a repository can edit the code directly online without using the scary git program from the command line. That is maybe enough to keep macros updated.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:34 pm