ANSI Sprocket generator

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Syres
Veteran

Re: ANSI Sprocket generator

Post by Syres »

AKielhorn wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:45 pm I'm surprised that "Derailleur" is an english word, it looks french.

There is a certain thickness of the sprocket associated with the chain size.
Would it be feasible to add that information and display it?
It will be needed for the padding in the next step.
As an Englishman I believe we adopted Derailleur (definitely French) rather than saying 'the thing that moves the chain from one sprocket to another' :lol:

I think adding a readonly field with the referenced standard thickness won't be a big job as long as I can find them all, the motorcycle and bicycle ones I definitely have, if I'm struggling I'll let you know.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

AKielhorn wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:45 pm There is a certain thickness of the sprocket associated with the chain size.
Have you managed to try my latest updates (files attached if that makes it easier), I've ended up leaving the Thickness field as standard?
Attachments
SprocketFeature.ui
(8.43 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
SprocketFeature.py
(11.25 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
AKielhorn

Post by AKielhorn »

Syres wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:40 pm
Have you managed to try my latest updates (files attached if that makes it easier), I've ended up leaving the Thickness field as standard?
Yes I have, works like a charm.
I can simply copy the thickness and use it for the pad.
Which I wouldn't do because I can access it as "Sprocket.Thickness" instead.

That's really great.
Thank you for this improvement.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Syres wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:18 pm PR Submitted : https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4478
This has been merged today. i wanted to document it and find several issues. I hope you can help me wit these issues:

* what is the "thickness" property about. I can enter there what I want, but nothing visible happens.
* the dialog has no spinboxes, while the property editor has
* the property "SprocketReference" must be an enum, not a string
* There is no logic preventing the user from entering invalid code:
4oDTiA1NSM.gif
4oDTiA1NSM.gif (38.87 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
In this example the roller diameter must not exceed a certain value, then the user must not be able to enter a too large value. So the upper limit for the spinbox must be set according to the pitch and sprocket type.

I am not a Pythionist but tried to fix the enumeration property issue and also sorted the enums: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4718
Can you please have a look and maybe improve this?
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:13 am Can you please have a look and maybe improve this?
All I've done is exactly what I was asked to do as the author didn't respond to the request. All the issues with lack of error checking etc are from when it was built and it's not like we get loads of help requests for this facility. Most of the experienced users don't even recommend using it, rather model one tooth and use Draft, Polar Array so on the priority list of things to do I would put this way down the list to be honest.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Syres wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:04 pm I would put this way down the list to be honest.
No problem. But if you could have a look at my PR and review it, that would be nice.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Syres wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:04 pm All I've done is exactly what I was asked to do as the author didn't respond to the request.
You added the thickness property and I cannot find out what it does and what it is for. Can you please tell me that I can document this?
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:26 am You added the thickness property and I cannot find out what it does and what it is for. Can you please tell me that I can document this?
It's all in this thread:

AKielhorn wrote: Just one more thought (definitely for 0.20):

There is a certain thickness of the sprocket associated with the chain size.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Syres wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:59 am It's all in this thread:
But it doesn't work - I have e.g. a thickness of 4.267 mm, then I pad the sprocket and get a 10.0 mm thick pad. So why is either:

- the sprocket a 3D part with a pad that is as thick as the thickness? This would also save time because no manual padding is necessary
- when padding a sprocket, the Pad takes the sprocket's thickness as proposal?