Old vs. New Workbench Terminology

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gbroques

Old vs. New Workbench Terminology

Post by gbroques »

Hi all,
As some may know, there's a proposed new style for FreeCAD workbenches documented and proposed by:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/freecad.workbench_starterkit

Are there better terms to describe each style other than "old" vs "new"?

I created an issue on the GitHub repository with more details and a couple of naming suggestions:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/freecad.work ... /issues/13

Naming is important.

It shapes the way people think, so I think it's a topic worth considering.
vocx
Veteran

Re: Old vs. New Workbench Terminology

Post by vocx »

gbroques wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:27 am ...
Are there better terms to describe each style other than "old" vs "new"?
We have used in the past "namespace workbench" because the workbenches that use this style are installed under a "freecad" directory. Then, ideally, the workbench could import its public functions like

Code: Select all

import freecad.workbench as workbench

workbench.SomeClass()
workbench.some_function()
A problem with the old style is that every module (.py file) that is placed in a Mod/ directory is automatically inside the global namespace, thus the global namespace becomes polluted with various packages, which could also cause clashes with other Python packages provided by the operating sytem. Placing FreeCAD specific modules inside the freecad namespace (in lowercase, following PEP8 guidelines) makes the most sense. So "namespace workbenches".
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
gbroques

Post by gbroques »

vocx wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:34 am ... So "namespace workbenches".
Thanks vocx. I like "namespace workbenches" better than "new workbenches".

Updated the GitHub issue thread with that suggestion.

If you call the new style "namespace workbenches", then what would be the contrasting term the for old style, "global namespace polluting workbenches"? lol :lol:

Maybe we could call them "scoped workbenches" / "namespaced workbenches" vs. "global workbenches".
Last edited by gbroques on Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Likely we shouldn't bother people with that at all, hence FreeCAD workbench starter kit should do.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

gbroques wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:02 am Maybe we could call them "scoped workbenches" / "namespaced workbenches" vs. "global workbenches".
Yes, I think global workbench would be the counterpart.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

gbroques wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:02 am
vocx wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:34 am ... So "namespace workbenches".
Thanks vocx. I like "namespace workbenches" better than "new workbenches".

Updated the GitHub issue thread with that suggestion.

If you call the new style "namespace workbenches", then what would be the contrasting term the for old style, "global namespace polluting workbenches"? lol :lol:

Maybe we could call them "scoped workbenches" / "namespaced workbenches" vs. "global workbenches".
I think we should not promote "old style" workbenches, so i propose to name them: Legacy Workbenches.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

mnesarco wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:30 am I think we should not promote "old style" workbenches, so i propose to name them: Legacy Workbenches.
We don't promote them, but we don't have good documentation instructing power users exactly how they should proceed when creating a new workbench. Power users who can do some programming usually copy parts of existing workbenches to write their own, so they copy both good practices and bad practices from them. If somebody asks, I normally tell them to use the namespace workbench style, but it's ultimately up to the user to decide. For example, you took that advice quite well, but I don't think most of the current workbench authors feel very strongly about migrating their code to this new style.

We have this page, Workbench creation, but the namespace workbenches are not mentioned. We should remake the page with updated examples, because the power user needs to follow at least some practical instructions.

In the source code there is an example in src/Mod/TemplatePyMod/. Maybe looo's example workbench-starterkit should be included in a similar directory, src/Mod/TemplatePyNamespace/freecad.new/, or something.

Joel tried to tackle this problem as well. See Workbench-Starterkit refactor.

He wanted to prepare a better template so that new programmers could use it to build their workbenches without many issues. He wanted to separate the structure of a workbench in "tasks", so that every function of a workbench was clearly defined; that follows our philosophy with the structure of Draft and FEM. However, I think Joel didn't proceed further with his investigations due to time constraints (he's been busy with work and his own workbench).
Last edited by vocx on Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Just wanted to say that I am happy with what is going on. namespace-wb/legacy-wb is a good proposal.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

looo wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:37 am Just wanted to say that I am happy with what is going on. namespace-wb/legacy-wb is a good proposal.
Your ideas are good, but we really need to convince active workbench authors (Assembly3, Assembly4, BIM, Dodo, Manipulator, Kicad, etc.) to migrate their code. Otherwise it will be hard to get any traction.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

vocx wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:52 pm
looo wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:37 am Just wanted to say that I am happy with what is going on. namespace-wb/legacy-wb is a good proposal.
Your ideas are good, but we really need to convince active workbench authors (Assembly3, Assembly4, BIM, Dodo, Manipulator, Kicad, etc.) to migrate their code. Otherwise it will be hard to get any traction.
Convincing developers about going for certain conventions is difficult as some might not see the advantages. The original goal was to find an alternative way of handling extensions to get rid of some issues.This is now possible and the list of namespace-packages is growing.

Btw asm3 is already a namespace-wb. That's why we were able to package it with conda and include it in the conda-based bundles.