Is there such workbench for charting?

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ulrich1a
Veteran

Re: Is there such workbench for charting?

Post by ulrich1a »

The shown charting example of the OP is not that much related to FreeCAD. But the charting program Visio has in its professional version a 2D-drawing program for mechanics and is used for indoor room planning as well. Furthermore it has a module for piping and instrumentation diagrams usable for chemical engineering, which relates clearly to an engineering task. The same is true for the program Dia. A few years around 2000, SolidWorks included a Visio license just for this purpose.

Dia is not very comfortable for piping and instrumentation diagrams. Here is a lot of space for improvement.

Ulrich
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

jmaustpc wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:50 pm I think the OP is Chinese, so it could be that his English may be a second language and perhaps not very good. Although his English is certainly infinitely better than my Chinese! :)
DeepSOIC wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:40 am FreeCAD could also play music and forecast weather, you know... Please excuse me if it sounds rude, but charting is not tightly related to mechanical engineering, so why integrate it? Please explain the use case. If it's awesome, it might happen.
I was thinking the same thing, I am also curious to see what and why he wants because it does, at least at first glance, seem a little strange.

freecadlzh wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:49 pm It looks like
I am also curious to understand what exactly you want and why, what do you want to do this for? :)
If you can help, just help.

It will be very dispointing one explain a lot why he need it and at the end get a answer no. Only to satisfy other's curiousity.

I think It's quite natural to ask this question, fc is powerful to handle all the complicated geometries. It looks easy to deal with simple shapes. Some one may have done that. So no harm to ask.
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

johnwang wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:54 pm It will be very dispointing one explain a lot why he need it and at the end get a answer no.
:lol:
That's not how FreeCAD works. It is usually more like, no one is interested in developing it, so nothing happens. Or, sometimes:
OP: <long explanation>
person 1: NONSENSE!
person 2: But it would be nice to also...
person 3: NONSENSE NONSENSE!
person 1: github.com/.../shiny_new_workbench, please try!
Markymark

Post by Markymark »

Having seen quite a lot of software for diagrams this one is very lean, fast and easy to cope with. Used with VSCode für documentation:

https://www.diagrams.net/blog/embed-diagrams-vscode

If anyone can think of a documentation for a FC project via flowchart etc. could be making sense to give it a closer look.

But it is true, what are the real benefits for integration and where should be the borders for that?

Anyway, thanks for the link. Much apprechiated.

Rgrds, m.