CuraEngine Plugin

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cblt2l

Re: CuraEngine Plugin

Post by cblt2l »

quick61 wrote:Hows the part placement portion coming along?
Ehhhh, not really going anywhere at the moment. Freecad's placement object is pretty tricky and I'm stuck on a few things. I really just want to get it semi functioning and then maybe someone else can fine tune it. Its a pain to use without a toolbar anyway, so maybe I will get that going first.

I do however have a machine object (Representation of a 3d printer) ready so I will add that soon, even though its not much use without the placement tool.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Shiny, I'll keep watching.
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Nice start on the machine definitions. Looking good, and seems to go along very nicely with my default .stl (green) and native colors. Works well with the gray too.

One note, I think it happened with the push before this one - the linear speed problem seems to be back. It's printing the perimeters at full tilt once again. Maybe the old code sneaked it's way back in there some how? :?

Anyway, another great feature added to the Macro. Keep it coming. :mrgreen:

Mark
Machine_Def.png
Machine_Def.png (17.65 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
cblt2l

Post by cblt2l »

quick61 wrote:One note, I think it happened with the push before this one - the linear speed problem seems to be back. It's printing the perimeters at full tilt once again. Maybe the old code sneaked it's way back in there some how?
Thats strange. Please post your settings file and I'll take a look.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

OK I am attaching my settings, log file and the Gcode produced. The Gcode is on Dropbox as it is to big to post here. The log and settings are not zip files. As usual, just remove the .zip extension and open as usual. In the Gcode the shell layers go from the initial speed of 15, to the next layer speed of 23 then 32,40,50 and remain at 50 for the rest of the time.
Ratchet_Claw.log.zip
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
CESettings_Current.ces.zip
(4.32 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
Ratchet_Claw.gcode

Mark
cblt2l

Post by cblt2l »

Ok I added a quick fix.

Basically the issue was that the newer version of CuraEngine has the parameters "inset0Speed" and "insetXSpeed" which control the print speed when doing the perimeter and are both set to 50 mm/s by default. In the macro I set them both to be the same as the print speed. If need be they can be added to the GUI later on.

In other news, I'm almost done making a "3D Printing" workbench which will integrate all of this stuff together. :D
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

There must be something funky with Cura 14, as it still didn't work. So I just downgraded to 13.12 and it looks to be working just fine now, so no worries on that front at the moment. Maybe come back around to it once you have everything together.

Can't wait for the workbench. :)

mark
cblt2l

Post by cblt2l »

I went back and tested with the CuraEngine shipped with Cura 14 along with the latest CuraEngine from git and the print speed is working as it should. If you can, check the report view (or the log) for the "inset0Speed" and "insetXSpeed" settings and verify that they are the same as the "printSpeed" setting (linear feedrate in gui). If not there is a problem somewhere...
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

cblt2l wrote:I went back and tested with the CuraEngine shipped with Cura 14 along with the latest CuraEngine from git and the print speed is working as it should. If you can, check the report view (or the log) for the "inset0Speed" and "insetXSpeed" settings and verify that they are the same as the "printSpeed" setting (linear feedrate in gui). If not there is a problem somewhere...
OK, so in light of this, I re-upgraded CuraEngine with 14.03 (amd64) and it seems to be working now. At least the sim is reporting the proper speeds. I will try a print with it later on today and just edit back into this post as to how it did.

Thanks

Mark

EDIT - Yes, 14.03 seems to be working well. Made a couple of prints and the speed is now completely under control. :)
cblt2l

Post by cblt2l »

quick61 wrote:Yes, 14.03 seems to be working well. Made a couple of prints and the speed is now completely under control.
One thing I should have mentioned before is that every time you run git pull, you should restart freecad. For some reason it does not reload some of the macro files automatically.

Anyway, I just pushed the changes for the workbench and the macro files will no longer run as macros. You need to clone the repo into ~/.FreeCAD/Mod (or create a symlink there that points to the cloned repo). Restart freecad and you should have a '3D Printing' workbench. There are only two commands; the machine definition and the slicer panel, although I have a few ideas planned....

Let me know how it works.