CuraEngine Plugin

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: CuraEngine Plugin

Post by sgrogan »

federico.carminati wrote: Since it is in the documentation of FreeCAD, can we expect some help?
Of course. If I gave any other impression, I apologize.
It's just that the community knowledge base may be weak.
I was just trying to "advertise" the position of maintainer. @yorik seems to get saddled with this stuff by default.
"fight the good fight"
federico.carminati

Post by federico.carminati »

Thanks a lot for the answer. I hope someone picks it up. I have also posted on the Cura GitHub. Best,
Federico Carminati
Co-Founder and Scientific Director of Transmutex SA
Switzerland/Suisse
mea08kw

Post by mea08kw »

Hi, I have tried to clone all relevent files into Mod directory, but the plug-in can not be loaded.

Error message in message box:

13:56:34 During initialization the error "inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation (, line 52)" occurred in C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\Mod\FreeCAD-CuraEngine-Plugin\InitGui.py
13:56:34 Please look into the log file for further information

It seems that it is caused by the updated version of FreeCAD.

I also had a look into files for different workbenches, the sytax and structure are slightly different, I'm wondering if Cura workbench will work after modifying those python files to be compatible with latest FreeCAD.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks in advance.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I'm not sure this addon is even hacked on anymore.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Last post about this plugin is 5 years old, probably it will not work because both Cura and FreeCAD had evolved.

Filling a 5 years gap in develoment is not and easy task.

First thing to do is uniform the tabs and spaces mismatching in indentation (prefer 4 spaces for indentation).

Probably the plugin was made also for python2 and now FreeCAD uses Python3 as Python2 is deprecated.

Kind Regards.

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I don’t think that this add on is currently very helpful. There are so many parameters to be adjusted, that it is very sensible to manage them in Cura.
For the first try, export the object and load it into Cura. Positioning it and adjusting the parameters has to be done anyway. And for every subsequent try just export from FreeCAD and Cura asks to reload. This is as fast as calling the add on.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mea08kw

Post by mea08kw »

Thanks for your swift reply, guys.

In my opinion, Cura is basically a cutting tool for 3D printer, but normally .stl file is enough for 3D printer to print out the object, cus each 3D printer has its own cutting tool software.

I'm wondering if it is necessary to implement cutting process in FreeCAD, maybe the export of stl file is a better alternative.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mea08kw wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:35 am I'm wondering if it is necessary to implement cutting process in FreeCAD, maybe the export of stl file is a better alternative.
It is not necessary, see my post above. I wonder then why you necrobump a 5 years old topic :? .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mea08kw

Post by mea08kw »

Hi

I tried to click "ok" button in "Slice with Cura Engine" tool.

However, there is no output of G-code, only stl and log file are created.

Not sure if I missed something.

Best Regards,

Mea08kw
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mea08kw wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:18 am Not sure if I missed something.
State today: The Cura addon is no longer working!