[Solved] Macro "Jump to FC Wiki"

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bavariaSHAPE

[Solved] Macro "Jump to FC Wiki"

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

These discussions in the forum have led me to look for a straightforward solution. Here are two representative topic examples: My considerations were as follows:
  • Quick access to the Standard menus
  • Quick access from the last activated workbench to the corresponding Wiki page
  • No need to switch to the system default browser
The result is the following simple helper – Macro "Jump directly to Wiki"

Jump directly to Wiki.png
Jump directly to Wiki.png (24.27 KiB) Viewed 2871 times

Except for the last entry, you get the Wiki pages of the Standard menus. The last entry (activated by default) is the last activated workbench, and takes you to the corresponding Wiki page. If I am not yet familiar with a workbench, the last option helps me a lot because it is fast and easy.

The two information texts firstly point out that sometimes there is no Wiki page with information, but a link to GitHub or similar.
The second note I added for the following reason. On my FreeCAD >+19 on Windows operating system, the navigation buttons in the Web Workbench do not become active when I click on a link. Only after the reload button, everything is OK.

Since I'm still in the learning curve with FreeCAD Python, PySide, etc., I hope the macro doesn't have (preferably none) too many bugs.

I have to the topic "How do I get best and fastest to FreeCAD information" still some ideas that I want to implement in the near future.

Ideas and improvements are welcome.
Attachments
JumpDirectly2Wiki.zip
(5.35 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Last edited by bavariaSHAPE on Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
… for a happy FreeCAD-World … JM2C …
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Jump inside FreeCAD directly to Wiki

Post by Kunda1 »

cool!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bavariaSHAPE

Re: Jump inside FreeCAD directly to Wiki

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:08 pmcool!
Thanks a lot.
Meanwhile, finding information on the Internet quickly and in a targeted manner is a major task. The evaluation of the results is another hurdle.
As a next step I will adapt the small tool also for the respective national language set in FreeCAD.
Many FreeCAD users do not speak and read English or read it insufficiently. I read this again and again in the German forum.

Edit
In the meantime I have implemented 5 national languages. I have taken the activity of the national language forums as a benchmark. All other languages are directed to the English side. I hope that other users see the macro as helpful, as I do. I tested the macro with FreeCAD 0.19/0.20 on Windows operating system.

Jump to FC Wiki_Forum.png
Jump to FC Wiki_Forum.png (60.58 KiB) Viewed 2658 times

Edit 2
I have added 7 more recommended wiki pages. All in the sense of quick accessibility to the wiki information.

Note for the use
  • If the correct workbench does not appear, look for further links, e.g. GitHub or similar.
  • To activate the Web navigation buttons, click first on a link and then reload button (maybe only I have the problem with my system).
Edit 3
For a better understanding, here are a few Screencasts.

en_Jump to FC Wiki 0-4.png
en_Jump to FC Wiki 0-4.png (23.06 KiB) Viewed 2563 times
Attachments
Jump to FC Wiki 0.05.zip
(6.72 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Last edited by bavariaSHAPE on Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: [Solved] Macro "Jump to FC Wiki"

Post by Kunda1 »

Any idea how to programmatically make it so the mouse hover activates the radio button so choosing the option only requires 1 mouse click ?
realthunder wrote: pinged by pinger macro
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:43 am Any idea how to programmatically make it so the mouse hover activates the radio button so choosing the option only requires 1 mouse click ?
realthunder wrote: pinged by pinger macro
Mouse hover activation? I don't think that's a good idea. It will be very easy to trigger the wrong entry. Do you mean by saving the click of 'Ok', and instead jump directly to the link when radio option is clicked? If so, it can be easily achieved by simply connect each radio button's toggled() signal to the ok button's click() slot.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

realthunder wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:47 am Do you mean by saving the click of 'Ok', and instead jump directly to the link when radio option is clicked? If so, it can be easily achieved by simply connect each radio button's toggled() signal to the ok button's click() slot.
Exactly! Is there a PoC somewhere ? Specifically when hovering over the radiobutton, the rectangular area around the radiobutton also becomes highlighted?
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:23 pm Exactly! Is there a PoC somewhere ? Specifically when hovering over the radiobutton, the rectangular area around the radiobutton also becomes highlighted?
See changes required here. The mouse over highlight requires to change stylesheet, but it may conflict with the user selected stylesheet. I am simply using a neutral border color here.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

realthunder wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:28 am
Kunda1 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:23 pm Exactly! Is there a PoC somewhere ? Specifically when hovering over the radiobutton, the rectangular area around the radiobutton also becomes highlighted?
See changes required here. The mouse over highlight requires to change stylesheet, but it may conflict with the user selected stylesheet. I am simply using a neutral border color here.
Yep, one less click.
Then we should take out this line, otherwise it will be executed immediately at the start.

Code: Select all

self.radio8.setChecked(True)
I could then also do without the OK and Cancel buttons. Well, a little uncommon. But it's fun to get the information so quickly. That's something everyone has to decide for themselves. The more I use it, the more I like it. Thanks @Kunda1 for the idea, and thanks @realthunder for the implementation.

Jump to FC Wiki 0.06 2clicks.gif
Jump to FC Wiki 0.06 2clicks.gif (679.54 KiB) Viewed 2209 times

PS
Tested on Windows operating system and FreeCAD >=0 0.19.
Attachments
Jump to FC Wiki 0.06 2clicks.zip
(6.66 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Last edited by bavariaSHAPE on Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

realthunder wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:28 am See changes required here. The mouse over highlight requires to change stylesheet, but it may conflict with the user selected stylesheet. I am simply using a neutral border color here.
Nice!! Thanks RT for the explanation!
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

bavariaSHAPE wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:23 pm
realthunder wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:28 am
Yep, one less click.
Hi,

I could imagine that the macro would also be suitable for the Macros recipes page. Do certain requirements have to be met or adhered to? If the macro is found to be worthy, what steps do I have to take.

Best
Achim