[solved] MultiTransform on Array not possible?

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dprojects

[solved] MultiTransform on Array not possible?

Post by dprojects »

The MultiTransform on Array is not possible? Also Mirror on MultiTransform is also not possible?

I made simple furniture side part with dowels, pilot holes and countersinks. I made Array of the MultiTransform but I can't make mirror of it to get other side of the furniture with all dowels, pilot holes and countersinks mirrored.

FreeCAD mark this MultiTransform valid for this operation, so why it is not possible? I am doing something wrong?

EDIT: I guess, it should be in other forum section. Can be moved?
Last edited by dprojects on Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
chrisb
Veteran

Re: MultiTransform on Array not possible?

Post by chrisb »

In a body you can model only a single solid. If the mirror is not connected, it is forbidden.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:47 pm In a body you can model only a single solid. If the mirror is not connected, it is forbidden.
Can you explain little more? how to quickly create mirrored side of the furniture with all those dowels, pilot holes and countersinks?
However, I found something even worse than that:

Code: Select all

<ObjectDeps Name="MultiTransform003" Count="4">
            <Dep Name="Mirrored005"/>
            <Dep Name="Hole001"/>
            <Dep Name="Hole001"/>
            <Dep Name="Body"/>
        </ObjectDeps>
        <ObjectDeps Name="Mirrored005" Count="2">
            <Dep Name="DatumPlane"/>
            <Dep Name="Body"/>
        </ObjectDeps>
        <ObjectDeps Name="Array" Count="1">
            <Dep Name="MultiTransform003"/>
        </ObjectDeps>
FreeCAD allows to make Array on MultiTransform with all those objects but not keep information what is there inside?
or I could say, FreeCAD keep wrong objects list ?!

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Create a Draft/Clone of the whole body, scale -1 in desired axis, move to desired location. A body must be a single contiguous solid so cant simultaneously contain both sides of that furniture if they are not connected with something inbetween.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You should upload a file showing your issues. Makes discussions easier.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

A MultiTransform cannot be mirrored because it is not an additive feature (lacks the hidden AddSubShape property, which is the shape used to create the pattern copies). But you can mirror the entire body (select the body in the tree) using Part workbench mirror. When using Draft arrays or Part functions always try to select the body in the tree otherwise you will get out of scope warnings and potential placement issues if the body is moved.
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:33 pm You should upload a file showing your issues. Makes discussions easier.
The file is the Demo 002. I was trying to use it as base element for furniture creation. You can try to make MultiTransform or Mirror on that. This shows is is valid but not allow you to do that.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

dprojects

Post by dprojects »

kisolre wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:23 pm Create a Draft/Clone of the whole body, scale -1 in desired axis, move to desired location. A body must be a single contiguous solid so cant simultaneously contain both sides of that furniture if they are not connected with something inbetween.
Looks like this is I was looking for. I see there is Clone object but need to figure out how to get the content. Why the icon has dog face? is it dog? ;-) that's so funny ;-)

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

dprojects wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:20 pm Looks like this is I was looking for. I see there is Clone object but need to figure out how to get the content. Why the icon has dog face? is it dog? ;-) that's so funny ;-)
It's the famous sheep Dolly.

There still seem to be a misunderstanding about Multitransform:
You cannot pattern or mirror a pattern or a Mirror. Thet's what the MultiTransform is for, please note the part Multi. Instead of trying to e.g. mirror a LinearPattern you use a MultiTransform with a LinearPattern and a Mirror.
A MultiTransform with only a single Mirror or pattern in it is pointless.
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:23 pm It's the famous sheep Dolly.
For me this looks like dog face ;-) I like it ;-)

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:23 pm There still seem to be a misunderstanding about Multitransform:
You cannot pattern or mirror a pattern or a Mirror. Thet's what the MultiTransform is for, please note the part Multi. Instead of trying to e.g. mirror a LinearPattern you use a MultiTransform with a LinearPattern and a Mirror.
A MultiTransform with only a single Mirror or pattern in it is pointless.
I wasn't able to get content from Array on MultiTransform. But this trick with Clone the Body is very quick and probably I will be able to adopt this to my needs. I see the content is in Body Group array, something like:

Code: Select all

iObj.Objects[0].Group
So there is chance to get it to work. I think this topic can be closed. Thanks !

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects