Arch Shape2D view cyclic dependency

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
brjhaverkamp

Arch Shape2D view cyclic dependency

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Hello all,

I ran into something new today. Suddenly I noticed I have a cyclic redundancy in my model, due to a dependency of a Shape2Dview on some dimensions.
The dimensions are in the Section plane on which the Shape2Dview again depends. Hence a cycle.

But all my other dimensions are not linked to the shape2Dview, even though I created them the same way. (as far as I can see)
Moreover it seems only the recently added dimensions are affected. And since I upgraded to a latest 0.18 daily ubuntu package this morning before starting working on it again, it might be a bug in the latest version.

Has anyone seen the same issue?

Bert
Screenshot from 2019-03-17 16-07-08.png
Screenshot from 2019-03-17 16-07-08.png (349.66 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
brjhaverkamp

Re: Arch Shape2D view cyclic dependency

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Just to follow up. I checked some older versions and the cyclic dependency started yesterday. So no link to the new version I downloaded.
Also in freecad on my windows laptop the same effect appears when I add a dimension to the Trusses groupl.

I temporarily fixed dependency problem by taking the dimension group out of the section. (no measurements for now in my drawing for now.)

But then somethig weird happened. When I added measurments to the front section, using the same method as before, 2 out of the 10 dimensions had the dependency problem. the rest was OK. I deleted these 2 and redid them. Now all of them are fine. I have no clue what I do different. But something in the way I add dimensions is triggering this..
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hard to say what happened without knowing every single step of creating the model.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
brjhaverkamp

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Well, the procedure is just adding dimensions to a Shape2Dview:-)

The problem is serious enough though. Suddenly I had cyclic dependencies out of nowhere, that were ruining my model.
That shouldn't happen without some serious mis-use of tools. (It is a part-of-life in the Part design WB unfortunatey, if you are not careful.)

But I recognise what you are saying. I'll spend some time finding if I can find a pattern. I hope I can find something that triggers this.

Bert
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

brjhaverkamp wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:26 am I'll spend some time finding if I can find a pattern. I hope I can find something that triggers this.
That would be great to know where it comes from. Then it might be prohibited.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I believe it is because you are placing your dimensions in a group which is part of the section plane.
brjhaverkamp

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Hi Yorik,

Adding the dimensions in the section plane is the way to get them in in an Arch draw, as I understand it.
All my dimensions are grouped and then added to a section plane for this reason.

The difference for these dimensions is that there is a link between the shape2Dview and dimensions. That doesn't happen for my other dimensions.
Strangely, when delete them and re-do them, there is no link to the shape2D view. So it seems to have something to do with the way one creates them.

I haven't found a pattern yet, but I still need to try more.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

One thing to check: Select one of the problematic dimensions, and in the python console:

Code: Select all

Gui.Selection.getSelection()[0].Support
Gui.Selection.getSelection()[0].LinkedGeometry
Normally both these properties should be empty, or at least not contain the section plane itself.
If you could attach your file here, we can have a look too
brjhaverkamp

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Hi Yorik,

I think I am onto something. When I select a line in a Shape2D view and then the "create a dimension" button, it will create a dimension on the line and there will be a dependency. If I select the two endpoints of the line to create a dimension, there is no dependency.

This might make sense but it screws up the workflow to create a techdraw with dimensions. At least my current workflow. If there is a better way, please let me know.

The culprit file is attached/referenced here. The problem is with the "Dimensions trusses" group (and the dimensions therein and the "Shape2Dview trusses" https://www.oatfield.nl/nextcloud/index ... dXXpYinzRx

Regards,

Bert
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Thanks for investigating further. Normally this shouldn't create a cyclic dependency... the dimension depends on a line, the section plane depends on both the line and the dimension, that should work. But I'll have a look at your file...