[SOLVED]Section view showing hidden stairs

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Re: Section view showing hidden stairs

Post by paullee »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:29 pm Maybe this needs to be checked. Changing the "Riser Thickness" from 0 to 1 fixes the OP's problem. And if "Riser Thickness" is zero Part_CheckGeometry does report problems. Your "Massive" solution just fixes the invalid solid issue in another way.
Thanks further checking :)

So, to summarize, "Structure" - "One Stringer" / "Two Stringer" are broken somehow, and no solid is resulted and thus the strange error. Making Riser / Tread Thickness > 0 make Stair return solid, thus also 'fix the problem'.
robocat

Post by robocat »

Thank you Paullee and Roy, I appreciate you guys spending the time to trouble shoot this :D
I'll have a look at trying the solutions today!

On the note of adding the bug to the Mantis BugTracker, I havent used it before but i'll give it a go today.

thanks
robocat

Post by robocat »

The fix works great for what I need so thank you.

Quick question I'm not quite sure how one goes about testing the bug still exists in v0.20 as required before posting to mantis. I can only find the 0.19.2 release should I still post the issue?
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

robocat wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:16 pm The fix works great for what I need so thank you.

Quick question I'm not quite sure how one goes about testing the bug still exists in v0.20 as required before posting to mantis. I can only find the 0.19.2 release should I still post the issue?
May try AppImage weekly build.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds
robocat

Post by robocat »

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.25645 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 37d9757399b4c2ec30318eb88d7cd7c508246345
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)

Cool thanks, I've checked in Version: 0.20.25645 (Git) and the issue still exists as can be found in the new simplified test file.
It also seems the staircase is rendered fully above a section through itself too.

Just two questions before I post to mantis:

1. Is it normal that the stairs and rails dont move together if the stairs object is clicked and moved (or rotated) without highlighting its two rail children individually as well? Seems like strange behaviour.

2. Is it normal that the rail wire gets left behind whenever I move the stairs (floating lines in image below that can't be moved only deleted)?

3d view.png
archview.png
robocat

Post by robocat »

Turns out it's already been reported I think :

https://tracker.freecadweb.org/view.php?id=4593

Maybe my bug is as a result of this?
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

robocat wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:14 pm Turns out it's already been reported I think :

https://tracker.freecadweb.org/view.php?id=4593

Maybe my bug is as a result of this?
Not the same bug :) Please assist opening a new ticket, thanks.

(Wonder you always have Structure Thickness default to 0 in your setting that resulted in the bug in OP? )
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

robocat wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:07 pm Just two questions before I post to mantis:

1. Is it normal that the stairs and rails dont move together if the stairs object is clicked and moved (or rotated) without highlighting its two rail children individually as well? Seems like strange behaviour.

2. Is it normal that the rail wire gets left behind whenever I move the stairs (floating lines in image below that can't be moved only deleted)?
The railing thing was some experiment that I introduced when I started learning python and FreeCAD, and indeed had strange behaviour, as reported by @bitacovir also :D

If say you change the Length of the Stair, the shape of the Railing follows. Need to attack that when there is a gap.
robocat

Post by robocat »

Ah Ok I see :D

This issue has been added to mantis:

https://tracker.freecadweb.org/view.php?id=4746
Last edited by robocat on Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Thanks helping :)