[ Comments Request /PR ] Intuitive Automatic Windows/Doors + Equipment Placement

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: [ Comments Request /PR ] Intuitive Automatic Windows/Doors + Equipment Placement

Post by Kunda1 »

Can you link to the section that you edited?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
paullee
Veteran

Re: [ Comments Request /PR ] Intuitive Automatic Windows/Doors + Equipment Placement

Post by paullee »

OK, found the way to link to specific section, and above post updated :)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I've refined you wiki markup a bit. I made the thumbs links as well. (see the source for how i did that)
Also thumbs are a little smaller so they don't offset the vertical size of the sentence, and it's easier/cleaner to view
The images that you upload that represent functionality of the SketchArch workbench, we will probably need to rename so they can be reused elsewhere. Do you have wiki page planned forthe SketchArch workbench ? That would be ideal as you could keep it up to date on the wiki and integrate it easier in to Arch documentation.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Many thanks @Kunda and @Roy043 for the review and revision :D

Learned a lot with compare feature what were updated. I have only the Readme in the Github to explain the functionalities of this experiment :) Need to think how these should be organised for clarity and ease of maintenance.

Thanks again !
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

Hi All,

I am forcing myself to use Freecad on a small private project, which is a usual architectural layout - placing/moving walls, doors, and curtain walls. I am struggling with the basics big time, specifically walls and doors. On one hand, there are the traditional tools, wall by draft line or by sketch, which are great (yes, editing could be a bit more obvious, but it's efficient enough for the most part). On the other, there are these newer experiments, which are nice for walls to be able to trim extend natively, but no base line available. I've also noticed that with the new walls, the dimensions are natively parametric, ie if I add a dimension of a wall, then adjust the wall, the dimension adjusts itself. With the old walls.

What would be great to see is the functionalities somehow merged: retain the ability to create walls either by draft line, sketch, or by just directly drawing a wall as in the new experiment. Use the much better positioning of doors and windows of the new system with all types of walls and utilize one type of door definitions, preferably with the ability to easily flip door directions and door opening sides, and show annotation symbols (plan and elevation)

Ideally the doors/windows should stay with the wall, if the wall is moved, which the new system indeed does.

Right now, I am limited to using the old walls due to the door symbols (one less thing to draw), and forced to use only the simple preset door, as it seems all other doors do not snap to walls on angles and produce errors (including doors derived from the preset door and saved in the freecaduserprefs\arch\doors
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

dimitar wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:09 pm these newer experiments
I think you are referring to the Wall_EXPERIMENTAL etc. tools in the BIM WB. That is not what this topic is about.

For a modified version of ArchWindow.py see:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 48#p562248
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

dimitar wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:09 pm I am forcing myself to use Freecad on a small private project, which is a usual architectural layout - placing/moving walls, doors, and curtain walls. I am struggling with the basics big time, specifically walls and doors.
Indeed as @Roy_043 indicates, you may be using the experimental Wall tools in BIM (developed by @calopav)? What I am experimenting here is an add-on I call SketchArch with a few features. 'Parametric' placement of Windows/Doors is one of the attempts, flipping their direction is one feature. See if you want to test and comment :)

Curious to know your experience using BlenderBIM vs FreeCAD. And why you seems want to 'retain the ability to create walls either by draft line, sketch'.

Maybe you could post part of your model to illustrate your problem?

Thanks.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

dimitar wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:09 pm Ideally the doors/windows should stay with the wall
This is broken in V0.19 for 'old style' walls.
PR to fix this:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/5388
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

I see. Apologies for my ignorance. I really like the idea of more parametric placements! I have tried the tools, but the offset from the edge of the line doesn't seem to work. I've tried all the four options, and sometimes I can get an offset of a door/window in the normal direction from a point on a sketch line. Also, when specifying the index of a sketch line, it disappear from the door properties, yet it is still written, so it is impossible to tell which index the door is currently constrained to.

For different discussion, but related to addon - I also quite like the CellComplex topological naming, but it seems it has been placed out of the addon at the moment? It would be great if there is a more automated way to place spaces that find their own boundaries.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

dimitar wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:32 am I really like the idea of more parametric placements! I have tried the tools, but the offset from the edge of the line doesn't seem to work. I've tried all the four options, and sometimes I can get an offset of a door/window in the normal direction from a point on a sketch line.
Thanks for testing. There are lots of rough edges indeed, pardon my beginner level of python knowledge. And in fact there are a few discussion on the parameters, comment by @balrobs e.g., on desirable names and behaviour, so more discussion is welcome to improve it :)

Can you elaborate slightly your intent and current problem?

dimitar wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:32 am Also, when specifying the index of a sketch line, it disappear from the door properties, yet it is still written, so it is impossible to tell which index the door is currently constrained to.
Hmm indeed, that 'input' is a workaround currently, the actual stored index is hidden currently (would dynamically updated to overcome the 'toponaming' problem'). Should expose it for viewing at least.
dimitar wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:32 am For different discussion, but related to addon - I also quite like the CellComplex topological naming, but it seems it has been placed out of the addon at the moment? It would be great if there is a more automated way to place spaces that find their own boundaries.
'CellComplex' seems not exposed yet, the whole workflow seems not worked out to my memory, too busy recently to iron out things :D What do you mean 'CellComplex topological naming' by the way?

Thanks for comments.