Advice requested

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pmullans

Re: Advice requested

Post by pmullans »

Just wanted to report back and say "thanks" for the great advice, and to say that things have been going surprisingly well.
I think the freeCAD gurus have chanelled their psychic energy in my direction...

There are two main things that have helped:
1. I'm avoiding using the tools, but where possible changing an object's properties on the property list. This has helped a lot and I no longer have objects jumping around.
2. I'm using all my own windows and doors, rather than the ones in the library. Since doing this, I've had no significant problems.

I've managed to make some progress with my design (pdf file attached - the freeCAD file was too big to send).

My next issue is lighting. I just don't know how it works in freeCAD, and I'm struggling to find any videos/tutorials that explain it for a beginner. I've found information about applying textures/materials, but this seems really flaky. For example, if I spend an hour setting up all the textures, they all disappear when I close the program.
Does anyone know a good source of information/tutorials about lighting and textures?
One again, thanks for all your help.
Attachments
Test.pdf
(58.43 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Thanks for the PR @Roy_043, will give it a test spin before merging..

At some point I'd like to open all these windows and doors in the library and do some fixing like:

- make sure all base sketches have "Height" and "Width" constraints
- fix objects and constraints names to be in english (many are in other languages)
- maybe (maybe not needed anymore with the above PR) move them all to origin point so they all have the same position/orientation
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

yorik wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:16 pm make sure all base sketches have "Height" and "Width" constraints
I did experiment with renaming constraints, but decided that this would be too risky.

yorik wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:16 pm move them all to origin point
Not required. But this would make sense anyway.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Roy_043 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:17 pm I did experiment with renaming constraints, but decided that this would be too risky.
Agree. Better fix the files.

That's something many FreeCAD users could help with, actually...
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Merged.