Suggest tools like Column and Beam to also generate analytic model

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
johnwang
Veteran

Suggest tools like Column and Beam to also generate analytic model

Post by johnwang »

Hi,

For steel frame, it is handy that tools like Column and Beam could generate analytic model in one go.

The model tree could have two group nodes: 3d model & analytic model. When you add a column, 3d solid goes into 3d model. Single line model goes into analytic model at the same time.

BIM_Column & BIM_beam are inside BimStructure.py. The real function is inside ArchStructure.py.

Code: Select all

def makeStructure(baseobj=None,length=None,width=None,height=None,name="Structure"):
    _Structure(obj)

Maybe add something like:

Code: Select all

def makeStructureAnalytic(baseobj=None,length=None,name="StructureAnalytic"):
    _StructureAnalytic(obj)

When you call makeStructure, also call makeStructureAnalytic.

Cheers,

John
slModel.jpg
slModel.jpg (39.97 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
ebrahim raeyat

Re: Suggest tools like Column and Beam to also generate analytic model

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

johnwang wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:27 am Hi,

For steel frame, it is handy that tools like Column and Beam could generate analytic model in one go.
Hi. Columns and Beams in BIM WB have Nodes property, that you can use it for creating analytical model.
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

ebrahim raeyat wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:47 pm Hi. Columns and Beams in BIM WB have Nodes property, that you can use it for creating analytical model.
Yes, that what I can use. I hope BIM_Columns could write out that into an analytical model.
slMode2.jpg
slMode2.jpg (16.9 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
balrobs

Post by balrobs »

johnwang wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:18 pm Yes, that what I can use. I hope BIM_Columns could write out that into an analytical model.
Hi @johnwang,
Actually using the IFC exporter (with Preferences/Import,Export/IFC export/Export type=structural analysis) it should be possible to write geometrical informations (no section info, no slab thickness, no material) for beams, columns and slabs to IFC. (see also https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=54286)
Is this what you are looking for?
Hope it helps :D
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

balrobs wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:33 am (see also https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=54286)
Thanks balrobs. very nice link. any work continues on it? I am very interested the ability to create analysis model from Arch model. what is the source code for import and export ifc in FreeCAD? I see ifcopenshell, but what is specific code to import/export model from/to FreeCAD?
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

balrobs wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:33 am Actually using the IFC exporter (with Preferences/Import,Export/IFC export/Export type=structural analysis) it should be possible to write geometrical
The problem for me is that I don't have a fea software which could read IFC.
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

ebrahim raeyat wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:05 pm but what is specific code to import/export model from/to FreeCAD?
There is ArchIFC.py.

Maybe could modify that file to export case file for a fea program directly, like case file for Mystran.
balrobs

Post by balrobs »

ebrahim raeyat wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:05 pm
balrobs wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:33 am (see also https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=54286)
Thanks balrobs. very nice link. any work continues on it?
Some times ago I worked on the IFC exporter to enable slab export. Unfortunately I managed to export walls only via a hack, since til now they miss a proper node system.
As a next step I thought to write FreeCAD's material properties to IFC but then I stoped working on it because some things regarding the material definitions in IFC format (architectural model vs. structural model) were not clear to me.
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

Maybe just put the CBAR item under the Column item, same level as the UB item.

slModel3.jpg
slModel3.jpg (39.02 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

balrobs wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:05 pm Some times ago I worked on the IFC exporter
IFC is a hidden layer of analytic model.
Here the Column in Model is linked to the CBAR in Analytic.

slModel5.jpg
slModel5.jpg (35.26 KiB) Viewed 1633 times