Cannot create vertical dimensions in draft view

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FreeCad Neophyte

Cannot create vertical dimensions in draft view

Post by FreeCad Neophyte »

Per the handle I am new to FreeCAD but I have used other CAD and drawing packages.

I have a parametric sketch I originally did in the XZ plane. I left it as a 2D object. I tried adding dimensions in Draft view that are linked to the object dimensions (i.e. start by selecting a point or line, then select dimension tool and the final point). It will only do dimensions along the X axis this way. You can add a manual Y dimension by not having an object selected, select dimension then Y and the two points. This dimension isn't linked back to actual dimension of the object, thus if the object dimension size changes the dimension line is incorrect.

I read an old post regarding this issue with sketches on the XZ plane here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=44474.

I moved the sketch to the XY plane and tried again hoping it would work. I got the same result. For now I am adding the non-parameter driven dimensions.

I don't think I am doing anything wrong selecting the points, but even with a vertical (viewing top down, ie. Y axis) preview line, it makes a horizontal (X axis) dimension line.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Cannot create vertical dimensions in draft view

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Draft forum.
A minimal file could help the experts here to help you.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Cannot create vertical dimensions in draft view

Post by Roy_043 »

Let's start by reading the documentation: Draft_Dimension and also Draft_SelectPlane.
The attached file demonstrates that what (I think) you want is possible.

Note that Draft view usually refers to TechDraw_DraftView.
Attachments
draft_dims_xz_plane.FCStd
(6.74 KiB) Downloaded 28 times