Sun simulation

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freeDFX

Sun simulation

Post by freeDFX »

Hi,

Is it possible to model the sun light on an arch model? (maybe using the shite object?)

Best regards

Fabrice
yorik
Founder

Re: Sun simulation

Post by yorik »

No, but I already did some experiments with shadows - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9663
so it could be done. But there is a lot of additional work needed to manage that...
hhassey

Post by hhassey »

Hello FreeCAD Comunity. I am really impressed with FreeCAD and would love to help improve.

There is a Sun positioning plug in in Blender, maybe we can just trasnfer it into FreeCAD, on the other hand there is a fantastic python library called Pysolar https://github.com/pingswept/pysolar that allows to calculate the iradiance (energy gains) from the sun on any point on the earth, that would really boost the Arch module with all the worldwide construction code trending changes on Energy Efficiency.

Maybe the wall objects should have a R-Value assigned so that FreeCAD could calculate energy Gains/Loss (Efficiency) of a building right out of the 3D Model!!!

I would love to help develop some of this, I know Python and Architecture, I just have not developed anything Software other than some architectural plugins on Blender 3D.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Cool!
hhassey wrote:Maybe the wall objects should have a R-Value assigned so that FreeCAD could calculate energy Gains/Loss (Efficiency) of a building right out of the 3D Model!!!
Yes that's in the plans. Materials already can have such value.

As for developing something in that regard, that would be cool! I think a first step could be to look at the available existing pieces of software (blender plugin, pysolar, etc) and see what would work best, is available easily on all platforms, etc. Then, use it to calculate the position of the sun at a given day/time. Until there, there is no need to touch FreeCAD, it's 100% python. Then, there could be a little UI to set the desired time and date, then we can begin to play with serious stuff like shadows or energy calculation. 8-)

But I am also not sure this is not making double-use. At soem point we will have gbXML export (I'm working on it), then, wouldn't it be more intelligent to spend effort on integrating with energy calculation software, rather than reinvent the wheel? I don't have a clear view on this yet...