workflow with snap reference

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bitacovir
Veteran

workflow with snap reference

Post by bitacovir »

Hi. I trying to use FreeCAD for a current project, but I have some difficulties in the workflow when I work with commands like moving and the snap reference option.
For instance. I do not know how to use the snap between different planes in a geometry. In the case of a cube, the snap works with each vertex at the bottom of the cube (because that is the work plane). If I want to move an element to the top of the cube. how should I do? The snap does not work with the top vertex...

Another question: is there a library with more structure steel profiles to upload in Freecad? The current library only has profiles H, I. What about profile shapes such as U, L, O, C ?

Regards.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.4671 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-15
Hash: 244b3aef360841646cbfe80a1b225c8b39c8380c
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: workflow with snap reference

Post by jmaustpc »

bitacovir wrote:I do not know how to use the snap between different planes in a geometry. In the case of a cube, the snap works with each vertex at the bottom of the cube (because that is the work plane). If I want to move an element to the top of the cube. how should I do? The snap does not work with the top vertex...
IOn general terms the solution is often only turn on the specific snap types that you require, rather than all snap types. For example in this specific case you are having troubles because you have "snap to working plane" turned on, so nothing will snap to the top of the cube because working plane is thye bottom of the cube....turn off "snap to working plane" :)

Also FreeCAD 0.15 is close to being obsolete, you really should have a go with the 0.16dev/daily PPA/snapshots etc. as they are now over 1500 bug fix and feature update commits past 0.15.
bitacovir wrote:Another question: is there a library with more structure steel profiles to upload in Freecad? The current library only has profiles H, I. What about profile shapes such as U, L, O, C ?
have a look at BOLTS, it has a lot in it, but I don't know about your specific requirements.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

bitacovir wrote:What about profile shapes such as U, L, O, C ?
These are in 0.16 already.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

Thanks a lot jmaustpc. These are the small details about Freecad that help a lot for a smooth and quick workflow. However. I notice that if the cube is a structure, like a column (I'm working with the arch module) I can not pick the top vertex any way.

Yorik, I download FreeCAD 0.16 but when I click on the structure icon the options CATEGORY and PRESET are empty.

This is the version:
Version: 0.16.6214 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: db539008be1e727066ec1dfcfc221f13d8e97f1d
Python version: 2.7.8
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
==================

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
JAndersM

Post by JAndersM »

bitacovir wrote: Yorik, I download FreeCAD 0.16 but when I click on the structure icon the options CATEGORY and PRESET are empty.
Try clicking on Category...
(Maybe it should say "Select Category..." rather than being empty)

The actual preset profiles are in a csv-file in the resource directory under/Mod/Arch/Presets
You can find the path to the resource directory by typing:

Code: Select all

FreeCAD.getResourceDir()
In the Python consol

Right now its just a few test profiles for other than I and H profiles. So you have to add your own from a external source.

This function is in need of further improvement but also a choice of direction to go. BOLT is a good (better?) alternative for standard steel beams.
Se this topic: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13652&p=110207#p110207
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

JAndersM wrote:
bitacovir wrote: Yorik, I download FreeCAD 0.16 but when I click on the structure icon the options CATEGORY and PRESET are empty.
Try clicking on Category...
(Maybe it should say "Select Category..." rather than being empty)

The actual preset profiles are in a csv-file in the resource directory under/Mod/Arch/Presets
You can find the path to the resource directory by typing:

FreeCAD.getResourceDir()
In the Python consol

Right now its just a few test profiles for other than I and H profiles. So you have to add your own from a external source.

This function is in need of further improvement but also a choice of direction to go. BOLT is a good (better?) alternative for standard steel beams.
Se this topic: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13652&p=110207#p110207
Sorry but your command send me to /FreeCAD_0.16.6214_x64_dev_bin/data/'. In the version that I downloaded there is not an Arch folder in a /data/Mod/ folder
There is an Arch folder in FreeCAD_0.16.6214_x64_dev_bin/ but not csv files or Preset folder

I did not installed FreeCAD 0.16 I only download the zip file and run the program clicking on FreeCAD.exe file
==================

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

JAndersM wrote:In the Python consol

bitacovir wrote:Sorry but your command send me to /FreeCAD_0.16.6214_x64_dev_bin/data/'. In the version that I downloaded there is not an Arch folder in a /data/Mod/ folder
There is an Arch folder in FreeCAD_0.16.6214_x64_dev_bin/ but not csv files or Preset folder
I think you will find that the data is copied into the correct directory during FreeCAD installation, however since we are all running a non-installed FreeCAD versions, that file is not there, but you should be able to just copy past the directory from the source code I would think, this zip file attached is the directory and the csv file.
Presets.zip
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
I can test further my self in a few minutes .....but here it is if you would like to experiment for yourselves. :)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

jmaustpc wrote:I think you will find that the data is copied into the correct directory during FreeCAD installation, however since we are all running a non-installed FreeCAD versions, that file is not there, but you should be able to just copy past the directory from the source code I would think, this zip file attached is the directory and the csv file
jmaustpc wrote:I can test further my self in a few minutes ....
OK I have tested now and I was wrong, or at least I am no longer correct if it had been that way in the past. :)

The profiles are there for me, the file is located
"Your build directory wherever that is"/data/Mod/Arch/Presets/
archcats.jpeg
archcats.jpeg (36.43 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
To get to this screen you have to click on Arch Structure without having a solid selected, if you do then Structure is based on the previously selected solid.

Version: 0.16.6274 (Git)
Build type: Debug
Branch: master
Hash: cbdd18cef6338038ed9e06a1773d4d55f231e46e
Python version: 2.7.6
OCC version: 6.9.1.oce-0.18-dev
JAndersM

Post by JAndersM »

bitacovir wrote: There is an Arch folder in FreeCAD_0.16.6214_x64_dev_bin/ but not csv files or Preset folder

I did not installed FreeCAD 0.16 I only download the zip file and run the program clicking on FreeCAD.exe file
Here are the file:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/tree ... ch/Presets
You can place the folder Presets in FreeCAD_0.16.6214_x64_dev_bin/Mod/Arch and it should work.

The program searches for profiles.csv here:

# Presets in the form: Class, Name, Profile type, [profile data]
# Search for profiles.csv in data/Mod/Arch/Presets and in the same folder as this 
profilefiles = file[os.path.join(FreeCAD.getResourceDir(),"Mod","Arch","Presets","profiles.csv"),
                os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__),"Presets","profiles.csv")]
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

yorik wrote: These
Hi Yorik

I just tested a few things, regarding snapping and there does seem to be an issue.

If I create a default Part Cube
or
an Arch structure base on the Cube
or
Draft Wire approximately an "I" beam shape then the Part Extrude that by either the same amount as a default Arch Structure "-1000mm" (or 1000mm)

then click on Draft Line and test snapping, it works perfectly as expected.

However if I click Arch Structure with no selection, and then select something from the "Category" and "Preset" drop down lists, I get a Structure object than extrudes in the negative direction 1m ....now when I start Draft Line and test the snaps they only work on one plane as though I had the working plane snap selected when I don't.

There seems to be something happening with snapping on a structure from the preset list.

Here is a simple demo file which I experiment with.
snap_arch_structure_testing.fcstd
(21.59 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Jim