Architectural dimension - tick arrow

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Eneen

Architectural dimension - tick arrow

Post by Eneen »

Hi,

Where can I find tick style dimension arrow? It is not available in dim properties, do I have to make one myself? If yes let me know, I'll create one (if I can ;)

Best regs.
yorik
Founder

Re: Architectural dimension - tick arrow

Post by yorik »

Hi,
Indeed there is no arch tick yet. It could easily be done.. The code that builds the arrow is in src/Mod/Draft/Draft.py at line 242. A third case, at line 265, should be created.

Are you interested in doing that? t will require you to learn a bit about python and coin/pivy (I can help too) Otherwise I can do it, but it might take some time :)
Eneen

Post by Eneen »

Oh I didn't know they are hardcoded, I can help with graphics but have no idea how to code in python. Maybe it's worth creating those as some vector arts, then I could make more ticks inspired e.g. from archicad?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The graphic is not really needed because it'll have to be made in code anyway. But I'll add this when I have a moment. Would you be kind enough to create a ticket on the bug tracker so I don't forget about it? Thanks!
Eneen

Post by Eneen »

yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

thanks!
3b0RG

Post by 3b0RG »

Might be unrelated, sorry to bump an old thread, but I haven't been able to find any other threads related to this.

I'm unable to get the tick mark to show up on a drawing sheet. The dot, circle, and arrows show on the drawing sheet, but not the tick mark.

I'm using draft to make basic drawings, not arch, so I might be doing something wrong anyway. It's merely aesthetic in my case, doesn't impact the drawings in any way. However, if anyone has insight on how I could make that work, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Indeed there was a bug there... It's now fixed with git commit a176b99
xanderdin

Post by xanderdin »

Hi,

Is it easy to make the appearance of the 'Tick' arrow symbols configurable? I'd like to set ones rotated at 45 degrees right to the dimensional line and to be the same width as the dimensional line. I think I could tweak Draft source code a little bit for my personal preference but that wouldn't be persistent in case of new FreeCAD version updates. So, may be to have a way to configure it is a better approach. Possibly not only I require such a customization. What do you think?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hi,
It is indeed not too hard to customize, I can see two possible paths here:

1) Add a fourth symbol type after the Tick

2) If you just want to use the tick and change its size, we could make it customizable. For that, a new preference entry should be added to the Draft preferences page, and then inside the Draft code, everywhere a tick is created (ex. Draft.py line 301 but there might be somewhere else too in getSVG() ), use the values from the preferences entry instead of hard-coded values.

I don't know which is the best path, in any case if you are interested in doing this, I can help you out, and we can integrate your contribution to the FreeCAD code.