Wierd Behavior Making Walls from Sketch

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
elsordo

Wierd Behavior Making Walls from Sketch

Post by elsordo »

I have a question about behavior. In the enclosed fcstd file, I created two structure rectangular structure outlines in the sketcher and then I created walls.

I have some unexpected behavior.

For Wall001, I the outline is based on four lines. Two of the lines have vertical constraints and two of the lines have horizontal constraints and they have length constraints. Where the lines intersect, the endpoints have coincident constraints.

I selected one line and then clicked on the Wall button. All four lines were where used to build a continuous wall. Why did it take all four lines. I only wanted a wall for one line. I would like to give each wall different width and/or height attributes.

The second anomalous case is Wall002. I created the sketch using four lines that have coincident constraints and two of the walls have vertical/horizontal constraints.

When I selected one line and then created a wall, I ended up with this very weird wall. As with the previous case, I was expected the wall to be based on the line that I selected.

The FreeCad version I am using is as follows

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6321 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: a583697e5a5e3e2c127f5ac5c63dd7668a2d76d7
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

-David
Attachments
WierdBehaviorUsingSketches.fcstd
(9.92 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
elsordo

Re: Wierd Behavior Making Walls from Sketch

Post by elsordo »

I ran into more unexpected behavior.

I created a sketch having to l-shaped lines. The intent is to create a rectangular structure where two adjacent walls would also be retaining walls. Hence, these two walls would have to be thicker than the other two walls.

So I created these two l-shaped lines using the sketcher. I then entered the arch workbench and selected on segment of one of the two l-shaped lines and then clicked the "wall" button. The wall creation function put all of the sketch geometry into the one wall.

This is not what I was expecting. I would have thought that only the line segment would have been incorporated into the wall.

Is my expectation correct?

I have attached the fcstd file

-David
Attachments
WierdBehaviorUsingSketchesCase2.fcstd
(6.62 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
elsordo

Post by elsordo »

Are the above unexpected behaviors bugs or pilot error?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hi, a couple of tips for you:

1) Walls are based on whole objects. It doesn't matter which edge you have selected in your sketch. If you base your wall on a sketch, the whole sketch is used. So you should create a sketch with only one line if you want to base the wall on one line only (you can mark the other lines as construction geometry).

2) If you want your wall to be defined by the outline of your sketch, you must first turn it into a face. There is a tool for that in Part WB (make face from sketch). Walls based on wires follow the wire, walls based on faces are done by extruding the face.

Hope this helps!